Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here done a headlight conversion to HID before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here done a headlight conversion to HID before?

I am real particular about my vision at night and after seeing first hand the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's lackluster performance, I decided I would like to install HID's sometime in the next few months. However, I dunno jack shit about what to get and there seems to be quite a few choices I need to make. I am hoping someone here has installed HID's on their GM at some point and can provide some do's & do not's regarding what to get and how to do it.

Wattage - 35w
    Bulb Type - 9007/HB5 (Hi-Lo Beam)
    Bulb Temperature/Color - 5000k (bright white)
    HID Harness ??? (Dual In - Dual Out) I have no idea what this is and if I need one
    Error Eliminator - Type 3 I have no idea what this is and if I need one

The above info was pulled from http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W which I found referenced on another GM forum even though the site says to be for BMW aftermarket.
    '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
    '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Send a PM to VisionMercury. I believe he's done HID conversions to both his 87 Grand Marquis, and his Marauder.

Comment

Bump
      '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Dang it... no one?
        '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Just VisionMecury that I know of mang.. try and find his thread about the car.. its in here somewhere on how he did it

Comment

I don't know if this will help but you need 2 bulbs, 2 ballasts and the harnesses. I know there are plug and play harnesses out there for other cars. You should be able to get a plug and play set for the 9007 bulb. 5000k HIDs is a good place to be. My stock maxima is 4300k(they are not projectors). The higher you go the brighter/bluer it gets. The higher you go also looks worse in my opinion.
            2002 Nissan Maxima 6spd 14.2@98mph "it may or may not be street legal"
            2009 Chevy HHR Panel - My office
            1988 Lincoln Town Car - The new love of my life

Comment

Hi. I did this on my Marauder. Clicky in the link and scroll through the pages. I think it's like page 3?
              Anywho, I ordered my set through www.HIDguy.net. Awesome service and product.
              SINCE..... you have the SAME 9007 as I do, this makes it easy:
              I went with 6ks in the Marauder. Nice.
              The kit from HIDguy was plug and play. The ballasts are about the size of a credit card, and are about 1/2" thick. It truly is plug and play.
              I also spent the extra money for the Hi-Low kit. This lets you use your Hi-beams in HID fashion. That kit comes with the required Hi-Low relay harness. They have instructions on their site. Or you can ask if needed.
              It took about and hour total to install. I spent most of the time hiding the wires and securing the ballasts.
              Its realllllly FN easy.
              Trust me, I'm a doctor.
              (Not really)
              Here!!!!
              Oh, I caught them on sale for $100. Regularly $170, but they were on sale for $130. They also sponser another forum I'm on, so I got a code and that got me another $30 off. If you're going to use HIDguy, PM me, and I'll send you the discount code; that is, if it still is good.
              If you're going to do it,you might as well spend the money and do it right the first time.
              They also have great customer service.

-ryan s.
              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
              Originally posted by pantera77
              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by chitownvic View Post
                Just VisionMecury that I know of mang.. try and find his thread about the car.. its in here somewhere on how he did it
                Thx man. I PM'ed with no reply him but for some reason I can't find a member list to find his threads and my PM's don't save sent messages. (I gotta change that)

Originally posted by Andypot1985 View Post
                I don't know if this will help but you need 2 bulbs, 2 ballasts and the harnesses. I know there are plug and play harnesses out there for other cars. You should be able to get a plug and play set for the 9007 bulb. 5000k HIDs is a good place to be. My stock maxima is 4300k(they are not projectors). The higher you go the brighter/bluer it gets. The higher you go also looks worse in my opinion.
                Thx for the input man. Yeah I think I am gonna go with 6000k. A nice bright white. No blues or yellows.

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                Hi. I did this on my Marauder. Clicky in the link and scroll through the pages. I think it's like page 3?
                Anywho, I ordered my set through www.HIDguy.net. Awesome service and product.
                SINCE..... you have the SAME 9007 as I do, this makes it easy:
                I went with 6ks in the Marauder. Nice.
                The kit from HIDguy was plug and play. The ballasts are about the size of a credit card, and are about 1/2" thick. It truly is plug and play.
                I also spent the extra money for the Hi-Low kit. This lets you use your Hi-beams in HID fashion. That kit comes with the required Hi-Low relay harness. They have instructions on their site. Or you can ask if needed.
                It took about and hour total to install. I spent most of the time hiding the wires and securing the ballasts.
                Its realllllly FN easy.
                Trust me, I'm a doctor.
                (Not really)
                Here!!!!
                Oh, I caught them on sale for $100. Regularly $170, but they were on sale for $130. They also sponser another forum I'm on, so I got a code and that got me another $30 off. If you're going to use HIDguy, PM me, and I'll send you the discount code; that is, if it still is good.
                If you're going to do it,you might as well spend the money and do it right the first time.
                They also have great customer service.

-ryan s.
                Awesome dude. Thanks a bunch! I'll PM ya for the code.
                '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

What's a ballast and an "error eliminator" in the context of headlights? Is there something special about HID lights that you don't just run heavy wires to a relay and call it good?
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                    What's a ballast and an "error eliminator" in the context of headlights? Is there something special about HID lights that you don't just run heavy wires to a relay and call it good?
                    Yeah pretty much. I knew about the ballast part. That's a given for most HID's and fluorescent bulbs. It's basically used to "fire up the bulb".
                    '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

So HIDs are actually fluorescent bulbs?
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Here's the exact product that I bought:

http://www.hidguy.net/index.php?main...&products_id=4

It lets you use your hi beams in HID as well. Most of the ricers just pay for the low beams. But for me, you never know when you'll actually need it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
                        I'll make a run to see the Marauder on Saturday and I'll post some pics and vids of it if you like. It's nice to see it first.

-ryan s.
                        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                        Originally posted by pantera77
                        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                        X