Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's discuss oil filters. PureOne vs Mobil 1 EP vs....???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's discuss oil filters. PureOne vs Mobil 1 EP vs....???

Since buying my GM I have been using Mobil 1 5w-20 Extended Performance Oil complimented with Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters. But I have been reading that Pure One filters may be just as good, if not better than the Mobil 1 and at half the price. Others say P1 is made of lesser quality than the M1 filters.

Has anyone done a serious comparison between the 2? Or with any other filters?
    '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
    '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

I plugged it before and I'll plug it again. You know someone else will drag other brands into this conversation if I don't.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...lterstudy.html
    1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Interesting. The Fram XG5 that I sometimes use when I have to is actually a better filter than the Purolator Pure One I normally spin on according to the test in the link provided.

Comment

bobistheoilguy.com has a lot of comparisons to various filters. I usually use the Motorcraft filters, largely because they are supposed to be the PureOne filter media in a regular Purolator can, and they also happen to be fairly inexpensive.

I have to admit that its a bit dissapointing to see that the AC Delco faired so badly. maybe I'll have to reconsider my filter choices on my truck. It also surprises me that the PureOne scored better than the Motorcraft filter, considering they are supposed to be the same thing inside. Have to wonder if maybe Motorcraft filters for Chevy are crappier than Motorcraft filters for Ford. Maybe thats a bit tinfoil-hatish of me, but it seems to make sense that Ford Motor Company could give a damn about making a quality filter for a Chevy product.
        Last edited by gadget73; 10-23-2011, 04:31 PM.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well did you notice Napa Gold and Wix being slightly different too? Those are supposed to be the exact same filter as well. I was shocked at the lackluster performance of the AC Delco filter, never again.
          1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
            I plugged it before and I'll plug it again. You know someone else will drag other brands into this conversation if I don't.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...lterstudy.html

This guy states that he rated as "better" the filter papers that were cleanest at the end of the test. If I read that correctly, that means he's recommending more highly the filters that remove fewer particulate contaminants from your oil!
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              This guy states that he rated as "better" the filter papers that were cleanest at the end of the test. If I read that correctly, that means he's recommending more highly the filters that remove fewer particulate contaminants from your oil!
              A better oil filter media provides a cleaner testing filter paper since the oil filter media circle filters out more of the contaminant. Therefore a cleaner 90mm testing filter paper is an indication of a better oil filter media.
              Hrmmm.. that statement is open for interpretation. One could say Filter A isn't catching as much contaminants as Filter B. Or one could say Filter A is catching the same amount of contaminants, yet has the ability to catch more than Filter B without being clogged. One would think a better filter would show less signs of use than one with minimal filtration. I see both sides of the arguement.
              '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
              '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                From the way I read it
                The best performing oil filter media provides a cleaner testing filter paper.
                He meant that he had placed another white media paper AFTER the oil was filtered through the actual oil filter. After all, mostly none of the media used in the filters themselves were white, and none at all would look like a flat sheet.
                1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

i like stp and supertech.......both made by champ last i checked
                  it's all hype tho, a filter is a filter, it is only there for 3,000 miles, i have been using the cheap of the cheap for over 25 years without a problem....same with motor oil, i use the cheapest stuff i can find.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Have to wonder if maybe Motorcraft filters for Chevy are crappier than Motorcraft filters for Ford. Maybe thats a bit tinfoil-hatish of me, but it seems to make sense that Ford Motor Company could give a damn about making a quality filter for a Chevy product.
                    Ehhhhh, I don't really think so. All of the filters are pretty much the same, and it's not that uncommon to grab an 820 or a 500, only to have it's insides rattling around. There all just mass-produced metal cans.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
                      From the way I read it

He meant that he had placed another white media paper AFTER the oil was filtered through the actual oil filter. After all, mostly none of the media used in the filters themselves were white, and none at all would look like a flat sheet.
                      Ah, I missed the bit about filtering each sample of oil a separate time through a standardized filter paper. Be nice if he could have stated what he did succinctly without all the chem-lab jargon that makes a non-chemistry-major's eyes glaze over!

Comment

I just use Napa Gold. With whatever 5w-30 synthetic is on sale. Usually Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec. The Napa Gold filters are probably the best filters for $5-ish. Plus Napa is a few blocks from my house. Nearest Autozone/Advanced is about 15+ miles.

They do have Napa Platinum now too. Those look pretty robust and a higher quality than the Gold. Might try that at the next change.
                        1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
                        1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Originally posted by DriverSideImpact98 View Post
                          I just use Napa Gold. With whatever 5w-30 synthetic is on sale. Usually Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec. The Napa Gold filters are probably the best filters for $5-ish. Plus Napa is a few blocks from my house. Nearest Autozone/Advanced is about 15+ miles.

They do have Napa Platinum now too. Those look pretty robust and a higher quality than the Gold. Might try that at the next change.
                          Next time you're in there ask 'em who makes the Napa plat, since the gold is essentially a Wix.

Comment

I run a Pure One filter personally. I buy them on sale or from Amazon and spend right at $5.00 a pop for them.

The Motorcraft filter is similar, but not identical to the P1. The bypass valve is different (better) on the Motorcraft, but the filter media is supposedly not. This is information I've gleaned from HOURS reading Bob Is The Oil Guy.

I will really have no issues running just about any filter, except a Fram PH8A or the E-Core Super Techs. I was the world's biggest fan of Super Tech filters, but not since they went to the current design.

But as has already been mentioned, the odds of having an issue with ANY filter is crazy low. Still, I figure if I can have one of the best for $5, I'm gonna splurge.

Comment

Funny, seems I usually get FL1As for just under $4 ....

Comment

Working...
                              X