Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 or 1991 wagon fuel sending unit

My sending unit is on the fritz.
    Ford oem part # is foaz-9275a. No one seems to have it. Napa thought they had it... and it arrived, and was the pump.
    The wagon had the sending unit independent from the pump, so I understand that it's not the same as for the sedans (which IS still available). I haven't actually dropped my tank to see what it looks like, however.

If someone knows where I can find a new one?
    Or, has an old one that works, or can be rebuilt (and then just swapped into my car in an afternoon)?
    It has to be 90 or 91; 86-89 was completely different.

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
    My sending unit is on the fritz.
    Ford oem part # is foaz-9275a. No one seems to have it. Napa thought they had it... and it arrived, and was the pump.
    The wagon had the sending unit independent from the pump, so I understand that it's not the same as for the sedans (which IS still available). I haven't actually dropped my tank to see what it looks like, however.

If someone knows where I can find a new one?
    Or, has an old one that works, or can be rebuilt (and then just swapped into my car in an afternoon)?
    Aero sending unit works. At least the 92 was. Junkyard may be your best bet.

Comment

That's interesting info right there. Never would have expected that! Are the later ones more better?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

No-- just ass backwards

90-91, high resistance = full, low resistance = empty. I've got the exact values in the manual, something like 160ohms and maybe 30ohms respectively

86-89, low resistance was full, high was empty.

There may be additional differences in the anti-slosh module. Wiring in the dash is different also (90-91 had airbags, so the dash was a complete remodel).
        Dunno exactly what would happen if you put an 86-89 fuel sending unit in. If the sending unit even fit correctly in the tank, then at a minimum your gauge would read empty to full as you used it up

I don't know my aeros, at all... was there a wagon version?
        Or a version with independent pumps and sending units?

Comment

Wagons were killed after '91.

Anti-slosh sounds fancy. Don't get that on "normal" (pre-'90) Boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            Wagons were killed after '91.

Anti-slosh sounds fancy. Don't get that on "normal" (pre-'90) Boxes.
            If you have a low fuel light, you have an antislosh module. It's either orange or blue. Gray or black on Towncars. Under the glove box. In the '90+ models the antislosh module is actually in the instrument cluster.

Even though the wagons were killed after 91, the sending units may be the same for the 90/91 sedans. Then again, who knows...

Comment

Oh, it's an ee-leck-tronic gizmo. Seems I remember someone mentioning that once. I remember my wagon having an unexplained stupid orange doohickey somewhere behind the glovebox.

My guess would be that the '90-'91 wagon senders are slightly different, just as for '79-'89. '87 wagon sender reads about a quarter-tank high when installed in a sedan.

Comment

apparently the 90+ sedans have an assembly: pump and sending unit built together. In the wagon, with a different fuel tank, they were separate.
                Officially the wagon:sedan units are not the same in ford's book, but I haven't drained and dropped my tank just for a look-see.

Dunno if a sedan sending unit can be made to fit in a wagon, or maybe the functional parts of a new sedan sending unit made to work with parts of the old wagon sending unit? (e.g., take off the float and variable resistor from the sedan unit, mount them on the structure of the wagon unit).

Comment

apparently the 90+ sedans have an assembly: pump and sending unit built together. In the wagon, with a different fuel tank, they were separate.
                  Officially the wagon:sedan units are not the same in ford's book, but I haven't drained and dropped my tank just for a look-see.

Dunno if a sedan sending unit can be made to fit in a wagon, or maybe the functional parts of a new sedan sending unit made to work with parts of the old wagon sending unit? (e.g., take off the float and variable resistor from the sedan unit, mount them on the structure of the wagon unit).
                  So what you're telling me is that the 90-91 wagons are using 79-89 wagon tanks? No. Stick your head under the car. If it has the fuel lines coming out at you on the side that's exposed, you have a single fuel pump sending unit. And you don't have to drop the tank for that.

Comment

Working...
                  X