T5 Time is Now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T5 Time is Now.

Yes, that is right. I've been thinking about it for a while now, and it is finally time to begin. Even though my 89 has a WR-AOD and a nice Lentech VB, it just isn't the same as rowing your own gears. So over the winter, I'll be ditching the slushbox in favor of a T5. I'll have a ton of questions so get ready. I'll try and make a nice write up in the end, with tons of pics, info, ect.., so for now I'll just post them all in this thread.

Well so far, I've completed the easiest task. I swapped out the stock brake booster for a 98 p71 unit. I went with the p71 one as it actually allows the pedal to have some feel, other than the "granny could push it with her pinkie" feel. The stock master cylinder bolted right up (although I'll be swapping in a 98p71 MC due to my big brakes and rear disc), and I'd assume this true for any 88-89, and 90-91. I'm not sure why Freshmeat's write up says the MC won't bolt up. Yes, I know I'll have to remove it come time for everything else, just wanted to make sure it fit right.

The stock booster compared with a 98 unit:

It bolts in place 100% with no mods needed. Comes close to the factory airbox, but doesn't actually touch.

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

I can haz AOD?

Also, that brake booster looks like the one I have from the 93 Grand Marquis.

Comment

my WR-AOD just has a shift kit... It could stand a WR valve body though... the 2-3 shift is a little early and the 1-2 is a little late. I dialed it for proper 2-3 shift so you have to peddle it between first and second when running WOT. It is nicer than the stock gears for getting out of the hole though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
        my WR-AOD just has a shift kit... It could stand a WR valve body though... the 2-3 shift is a little early and the 1-2 is a little late. I dialed it for proper 2-3 shift so you have to peddle it between first and second when running WOT. It is nicer than the stock gears for getting out of the hole though.
        In the Mark VI? What rear gear ratio?

Comment

They sell a bellhousing for a t45 to a 302. T45 is rated for 400 ftlbs instead of 300. I'm seriously looking into it.
          1989 Grand Marquis LS
          flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_Pride View Post
            They sell a bellhousing for a t45 to a 302. T45 is rated for 400 ftlbs instead of 300. I'm seriously looking into it.
            Ya, that's one of my many questions. I know summit sells the Ford Racing T5 rated for 330, but is that worth the $1300? But then again, there's plenty of Mustang people running 4cyl T5's behind a lot more power than I'm making.
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
              But then again, there's plenty of Mustang people running 4cyl T5's behind a lot more power than I'm making.
              Keep in mind, they also weigh less...

Comment

The t5 that was in my car was holding up decent. It just didn't like being slammed into 2nd at the track too much.
                1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                sigpic

Comment

how much do you want for the WR-AOD? i wonder if shipping would be a dirty whore...

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Im guessing he's gonna keep it for one of his other boxes...

If Freshmeat's box was an 87 or older, the MC is different and might explain why his didn't fit.

Please take lots of pics! One day we might get enough bits n pieces for a half decent T-5 swap guide.
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                      Im guessing he's gonna keep it for one of his other boxes...

If Freshmeat's box was an 87 or older, the MC is different and might explain why his didn't fit.

Please take lots of pics! One day we might get enough bits n pieces for a half decent T-5 swap guide.
                      Master cylinder is different on older cars, but Brake booster should be the same.
                      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post

That's the plan! I want to make The T5 Swap Guide, granted I'm going to need a lot of help along the way.

So let's start with the biggest question right out of the box. What tranny should I use? Keep in mind, this car is my DD spring, summer, and fall. I don't want some super notchy ruff tranny in it. At the same time, I do take it to the strip occasionally, and at times, certainly drive the car to it's fullest potential. I'm not sure what the actually power output of the engine is, for those who don't know:
                        Code:
                        Rebuilt engine;
                        86 Mustang 302 HO engine, bored .030" over = 306 Cubic Inches
                        speed pro flat top pistons -- 9.5:1 compression ratio
                        ARP rod bolts
                        88 Mustang HO camshaft
                        Crane 1.7 rocker arms
                        GT40P cylinder heads (4 bar)
                        Explorer upper and lower intake
                        65mm throttle body

My biggest concern is will a T5 take it? Sure plenty of Mustang guys run more power through their tranny's, but also, as 86VickyLX stated, are certainly lighter. One of my main concern's is reliability.

A quick visit to Summit Racing shows 2 choices of stockish, brandy new T5's, one a Ford Racing unit rated to 330ft./lbs, another, a Hurst unit, rated at only 300ft./lbs. Both cost the same at $1,300.

Now I know what your thinking, "why not just go buy some generic used T5 for $200, or score a free one from you buddy like I did?" Well first off, a quick visit to Craigslist shows two T5's for sale near me. One, for $950 that has been "rebuilt", the other, for $500 that has been "sitting outside under a tarp for a year, but should be ok". Stay classy Craigslis. Secondly besides for my $10 HO longblock (which ironically I got for so cheap because the kid only wanted the T5 behind it), I never find good deals. And last, I really don't trust any used T5, mainly because they've nearly all been beat to hell.

From what I've seen around here, nearly everyone who has done this swap, has ended up with a broken tranny (or rear end) sooner or later. I'd rather start with all new components if possible. While money obviously is somewhat of an issue, I'm not afraid to pay to play.

So I ask, what would you guys do?

Comment

Just thinking out loud,
                          Is there a technical reason not to do a non-t5 tranny? A t56 or something would be more than strong enough. Is the size that different? Shifter location, adapters?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

T45 same size, Close to the same gear spacing. Just a different bellhousing. And it may bolt up with a t5 bellhousing.
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS
                            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                              In the Mark VI? What rear gear ratio?
                              oops... no... the 88 GM... 2.73 rear gears. the stock trans gears were slugs out of the hole... the wide gears (even though they're not that much lower) allow the torque converter to hit the power that much faster. That 88 is real fun off the line... looses all grunt at 4K though (just like all lopos).

the Mark... actually has the stang AOD in it with that lower lever TV stuff on the side.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X