17t speedo gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17t speedo gear?

Looking to round out my collection. Also, figures to give a more accurate reading that a 16t with my current arrangement. If you need a 16t, I should have an extra one I can swap you straight up.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

The 17t is the green gear right?

Comment

Try Restoration Parts. They have a big selection of speedo gears. Mustangs unlimited or someone had sets of them.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        The 17t is the green gear right?
        16 is green ... according to the pic here, 17 is darker green: http://www.transmissioncenter.org/Fo...eter_Gears.htm

(I always count the teeth on mine before using them, just to be sure)

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
        Try Restoration Parts. They have a big selection of speedo gears. Mustangs unlimited or someone had sets of them.
        Thanks, but the Ford dealer across town is probably cheaper. My 21t gears were a two-pack for like $5 or $7. Just wondered if someone happened to have one they had no use for!

Comment

16 looks weird. I think Scott has some 17t gears. To be honest, I think he has a whole bunch. He has my old gear at least. Ask him if he would be willing to ship it?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            16 looks weird. I think Scott has some 17t gears. To be honest, I think he has a whole bunch. He has my old gear at least. Ask him if he would be willing to ship it?
            You want to know something REALLY funny? First, I had been under the impression that I had three 16t gears. One was from the '79 wagon, I bought from Scott when I figured I needed a 16t speedo gear for the '87 wagon, and I think the third came into my possession still attached to a spare transmission. The one from the '79 is long like in the picture, the other two have the shorter gear section. Pretty sure I'd already counted each of them, multiple times each.

But that's not the funny part. When I yanked the transmission I've been fiddling with out of the '87 wagon, I didn't bother taking the speedo gear too because I "knew" it was a 16. BUT, I just went and fetched it and counted it several times, and now I'm coming up with 17! Re-counted the long-toothed one and got 16, and though it's subtle, I can actually tell a difference in the colors. (it's not as obvious as the picture once they're 30 years old and filthy)

So I guess I already have a 17t speedo gear, and just didn't know it! :morons:

Now I wonder what it is that's actually in use right now. Will have to pull it out and count it tomorrow. :waiting:

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              You want to know something REALLY funny? First, I had been under the impression that I had three 16t gears. One was from the '79 wagon, I bought from Scott when I figured I needed a 16t speedo gear for the '87 wagon, and I think the third came into my possession still attached to a spare transmission. The one from the '79 is long like in the picture, the other two have the shorter gear section. Pretty sure I'd already counted each of them, multiple times each.

But that's not the funny part. When I yanked the transmission I've been fiddling with out of the '87 wagon, I didn't bother taking the speedo gear too because I "knew" it was a 16. BUT, I just went and fetched it and counted it several times, and now I'm coming up with 17! Re-counted the long-toothed one and got 16, and though it's subtle, I can actually tell a difference in the colors. (it's not as obvious as the picture once they're 30 years old and filthy)

So I guess I already have a 17t speedo gear, and just didn't know it! :morons:

Now I wonder what it is that's actually in use right now. Will have to pull it out and count it tomorrow. :waiting:

Comment

Working...
              X