Steering, suspension sqeeky noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering, suspension sqeeky noises

Just bought 2000 grand marquis with 26k miles and it seems to be hard to keep her straight while driving it floats around. Is that normal also when it rains and when I move the steering wheel it makes loud sqeeky sounds when it is dry makes the sound very little what could that be

Low mileage car, likely nothing is actually bad but it is almost 12 years old. Have you checked for any grease fittings on the front end? I suspect there are none, but its worth a look. THe U joint in the steering shaft, roughly underneath the brake booster is known for doing this. I dont know if you can lube it, or if it has to be replaced when it gets stiff.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Took her to the mechanic and my steering gear
      Box is bad and I need to lube my bushings

Comment

How does the steering gear go bad in 12 years/26k miles?

Should probably make sure your alignment is at least close. I got my alignment very wrong during a hurried tweaking session last week, and the results were almost dangerous!
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I'd have a hard time believing the steering box is bad. They last at least 5x that mileage in most cases, unless it was used as a security guard car in a parking lot or something unusual like that. I put a box in my car that had roughly 13k on it and it was like brand new. Its probably got 25k on it by now, still plenty tight.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'd hit the steering linkage with some grease and see how it goes.

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Yeah, that's odd. Most cars never even need the steering gear replaced during their lifetime, especially one with under 100k mi. Unless it's a factory defect or something weird happened like a bad power steering pump, or a major loss of fluid and somehow ended up wrecking the steering box. Or a lot of moisture somehow got in.

I know the steering shaft on the Panthers can be a little problematic sometimes. And unfortunately there isn't much to grease on the steering systems on Panthers either. Most of the steering stuff (tie-rods, pitman arm, idler arm, etc) is non-serviceable (non-greasable) stuff.
              1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
              1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Took her to another mechanic and all I need is an alignment and grease up the bushings

Comment

second opinion FTW!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by DriverSideImpact98 View Post
                    Most of the steering stuff (tie-rods, pitman arm, idler arm, etc) is non-serviceable (non-greasable) stuff.
                    Really? When'd they start doing that?

I seem to recall reading a recommendation to install a grease zerk anyway ....

Comment

Originally posted by DriverSideImpact98 View Post
                      Yeah, that's odd. Most cars never even need the steering gear replaced during their lifetime, especially one with under 100k mi. Unless it's a factory defect or something weird happened like a bad power steering pump, or a major loss of fluid and somehow ended up wrecking the steering box. Or a lot of moisture somehow got in.
                      Wish that were true. In my garage right now are two different vehicles known to need new steering racks under 100k.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post

I seem to recall reading a recommendation to install a grease zerk anyway ....

I'm not sure, but not a single joint/end on the steering on my car has a grease zerk or a hole for one to be put in... The aftermarket pitman arm I just bought has a zerk though.
                        1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
                        1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                          Wish that were true. In my garage right now are two different vehicles known to need new steering racks under 100k.
                          Well I did say most...
                          What kind of car(s)? It kinda seems like racks go out more often than the recirculating ball.

Not only that, no one ever pays attention to the fluid/hydraulic side of the steering system until it's leaking or totally shot. If I had a nickel for every time I heard a car with low power-steering fluid wailing around I'd have a lot of beer money.
                          1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                            early 90s. Basically the round cars.

Racks fail quicker because they take more abuse. No gear reduction or steering linkage to take road shock. Theres also no lash adjustment to help compensate for worn parts. Once its done, its done.

Comment

Wow. One more reason not to swap to a rack!

Comment

Working...
                              X