Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Terrible Stuff Happens If You Run Out of Gas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Terrible Stuff Happens If You Run Out of Gas ?

This is my first somewhat modern car and I notice that there are various tones and lights that keep going off as you approach empty. I assume that there is a good reason besides just to avoid getting stranded because most people understand that cars need gas to run. I have kept driving until the digital dash says "0" miles till empty and then filled up and it only takes something like 15-16 gal. So obviously it could have easily been driven much further and that the warning is total BS.
    I am thinking that with this degree of "safety" there must be dire consequences to the fuel pump or some other device if you drive till empty. What is the the story here? Thanks-Cougo
    2001 GM LS 25K miles (now 31K) ABS, Auto Climate, Power Dual Leather (dark charcoal),
    Drifting Barge Pkg.

If your junk is fuel injected, you can supposedly damage the fuel pump by repeatedly running the tank very low. Reason being, the fuel flowing through and sloshing around the high pressure electric pump also provides cooling and lubrication, the lack of which is obviously bad. Keeping the tank at least 1/4 full is supposed to be cheap insurance against premature fuel pump replacement.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yup. I've also purposely run my Tank out of gas a few times. That's ok. I don't mind. I have a spare pump anyways.
      But yeah, it's a built-in safety. Your tank should hold 19 gallons, so having a 2-3 gallon cushion is understandable.
      Word.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

The car stops going forward. Thats about the most terrible thing that happens. Refill and go. I wouldn't make a habit of it because it does make the pump run hotter, but if it happens by accident, don't worry about it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've run my mazda damn near dry almost every tank for almost 300K miles. Still on the original fuel pump.

I ran the wagon dry..... Took 10 minutes to get it started back up and purge the air from the system. It starves for fuel when it's less than 1/4 tank. Been doing that to the pump since some time last century and 3 cars ago with that pump.

The worst possible thing that could happen probably has something to do with where you run out of gas.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
          X