Strange hole at the end of the transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange hole at the end of the transmission

When I have rebuilt my transmission I was not sure, whether the hole in the case marked with red arrow on the picture below is original. Should it look this way? It is strange that it is quite irregular, it looks much like it is broken. Could you please advise me? I would like to know whether this does not make the case inapplicable for further use. Thank you.

sigpic

I *think* that is a lubrication hole cast into the housing when its made. I'll wait for someone else to chime in though.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      I *think* that is a lubrication hole cast into the housing when its made. I'll wait for someone else to chime in though.
      Thank you, it makes sense. Obviously you know a lot about transmissions - could I have another question? If I buy aod valve body air test plate (somehing like this: http://atec-trans-tool.com/t-1617-fo...tplateaod.aspx) what will I be able to diagnose? Function of every clutch/band/governor? I am still dealing with the high TV pressure on idling, so I wonde whether this could help me in finding solution.. (I believe the problem could be in governor).
      sigpic

Comment

Hang on, back up a bit ... what problem(s) were you experiencing prior to disassembly? Governors are pretty simple devices ....

That "valvebody test plate" costs about as much as a replacement stock valvebody! Or for a bit more, you can entertain the possibility of a custom valvebody. I'd suggest looking at www.clickclickracing.com for more info, though.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Prior to first dissasembly there was no 3rd a 4th gear (burnt direct clutch). I have rebuild it myself, but obviously I did sometihng wrong.

Firstly it was stucked in 1st gear - however this has been caused by valve body (some broken springs), so I have replaced it. Now it shifts all gears, BUT (this was issue also before the valve body change) - the TV pressure is too high on idle (about 30psi), even with the TV cable disconnected and it shifts quite late. I believe that this is governor issue (I am sure in respect of late shift points but could governor cause high TV pressure on idle as well?), but I am not sure whether something in transmission has not been damaged again - that is why I plan to dissasembly it completely once again.

The car is now just hobby for me, I like "repairing" it, but this time I would like to do it completely right (that is why I am wondering about the air plate test - I know it is expensive).

Thank you for the link, I have already asked there too
          sigpic

Comment

Per Dan/SilverFox, the governor and TV valve sort of "fight" each other to set the right line pressure to do what you want.

No idea if it's related, but I was recently baffled by a late-shifting problem (no shifting under 4000rpm, at all, ever!) where I'd installed the TransGo HIREV governor kit, including the governor-valve spring(s) in the valvebody, but hadn't installed the "supporting parts" found in a AOD-HP shift kit. After picking Dan's brain, I concluded that the governor-valve spring makes it shift late unless certain other TransGo VB mods are made - thus the warning included with the governor kit that you may experience "unpredictable results" unless installing it along with an AOD-HP kit. Dan said he incorporates a similar governor-valve mod in his custom VBs, but presumably he also includes other mods that make it still behave nicely.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
            X