This thread may turn into a shitstorm.... my new winter car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread may turn into a shitstorm.... my new winter car

I'll start by quoting myself from a post in Brown_Muscle's thread where I documented the issues I encountered in my exhaust install on the Crown Vic:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post647650

I bought a stove pipe kit from Hedman Headers. It was literally smooth-ended cut of exhaust tubing with a metal strip welded to one end, two hose clamps, and a cheap looking accordian stove pipe tube. That's effing it. For 65 bucks or so. Needless to say I was pissed, and anyone adding a second stove pipe setup should try to fab it up themselves. I am buying a green Prius tomorrow and putting the Hedman sticker that came with this item on it because fuck you Hedman Headers. No, seriously, I am.

I must admit I said this with tongue slightly less in cheek than someone who read it would have assumed.

Because the next day, I did indeed buy a green 2001 Toyota Prius. Before going into details about the car, let me explain myself:

1. I got a fantastic deal. I won't say the number, but suffice to say I could literally not find any driveable Prius for the same price anywhere in North America, and this came with a valid safety inspection certificate and zero problems.

2. I do a crap load of city driving, and generally my highway driving is done in light traffic. In short, my use for this car was somewhat optimal in terms of getting the most possible out of the hybrid system.

3. I do care about the environment to some degree (hence the pains taken to keep the Vic's factory emissions intact. Yeah yeah I know the batteries but I'm buying it second-hand and if the batteries ever need attention they'll either be refurbished or professionally recycled and replaced with self-refurbished batteries from a wrecked car.

4. I wanted as cheap to run in the long haul as possible, and my mother will drive it sometimes so that ruled out manual transmission, which essentiall rules out a diesel in the price range... leaving a hybrid.

It has CD, climate control, tape deck, decent speakers, power windows, locks, keyless entry, power mirrors, etc. I was surprised at how roomy it is. It doesn't technically have a pass-through to the trunk, but you can unbolt the seatback and have one relatively easily. This mean it fullfills one of my design briefs: it must be able to carry a Crown Vic bumper and a passenger. It sat my 6'3 friend comfortably behind the driver's seat, and can carry 3 abreast in the rear in a pinch. The turning circle is ridiculously tight, and it's really not much slower than the Vic pre-exhaust. So suffice to say, it's basic design is good for my needs.

It's got 170,000km (106,000 miles, give or take). It has zero body rust and only very minor surface rust on a couple parts of the floor. It's about as mint as you can expect an 11 year old commuter car to be. The only issue besides some stains appears to be a missing rear ashtray. The tires are at about 70% and look aggressive enough for winter use. It has aftermarket rims, but they look lightweight and they aren't stupid looking. It has new high-quality rotors, but is making an odd brake noise from the front driver's area. I'm not sure what's up with that but brakes are Corolla prices and the pedal feels fine. Annoyingly, after about 1000KM the fuel gauge died. It's reading zero, I'm guessing it's a sunken float. That'll cost me but it's something I never could have caught inspecting it, so I'm not too bothered. No real scratches or dents worth noting either. I actually had trouble finding any bargaining chips during the purchase process. But a motivated buyer and cash....

"Mileage so far?" you all ask. Well I've got an all-time best (based on the supposedly accurate dash readout) of 55ish mpg in mixed driving including HEAVY stop and go. That's the slightly odd thing about the prius, is it can easily get better mileage in stop and go as it does in highway traffic. It's more than a bit weird to realize taking the 16 lane highway isn't necessarily cheaper than the side streets. My all-time worst, over about 200KM, was around 43mpg. This was with about 7 starts, zero mind to driving efficiently, heat on, two passengers, cold day, etc. So far it looks like in somewhat conservative driving I'll average 48ish mpg over the winter. A trip from Scarborough, Ontario to Kingston, Ontario (googlemaps it for an idea) cost less than 31 bucks including sidetrips with a big buddy in the passenger seat. That trip would have cost over $100 in the Crown Vic. More to the point, that trip wouldn't have happened in the vic. Keep in mind that cost is at something near $4.50 a gallon.

here she is. She's not named yet.

I wish it was undercoated, but it is CLEAN considering it wasnt. And it will be soon.

This is really the worst bit, and everything is solid.

The standard 12V battery (which governs a lot of the same stuff it would on a normal car) was too small from the factory. It's been replaced with the Toyota dealer upgrade that was available through a TSB. Paperwork indicates everything beyond oil changes have been done at the local Toyota dealer, including some sort of preventative maintanence for the "traction"(hybrid) battery.

just damned clean for an Ontario car with this much use

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Oh, and I can't find the damned Hedman Headers sticker, but it's going on when I find it. I may even end up just buying one from the local speed shop.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

IMO by having a Prius and a Vic your actually helping everyone and not picking sides. ie when you drive the Prius your helping conserve the environment and making all those go green people happy whilst thumbing your nose at oil companies. Yet when you drive the Vic your making the oil companies so happy its like a second christmas lol at least compared to a prius but the green ppl are shaking there heads. Just my . Cant wait to hear how you decide you like it only time will tell.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
        IMO by having a Prius and a Vic your actually helping everyone and not picking sides. ie when you drive the Prius your helping conserve the environment and making all those go green people happy whilst thumbing your nose at oil companies. Yet when you drive the Vic your making the oil companies so happy its like a second christmas lol at least compared to a prius but the green ppl are shaking there heads. Just my . Cant wait to hear how you decide you like it only time will tell.
        Thanks, that's sort of how I look at it too. I love the sound of a V8, the space to spread out (or spread a girl out...), the general coolness of the vic. But financially and socially? It's more than a bit wasteful, makes travel to see my friends (many of which live 2-3 hours away) difficult, can be hard to park, etc. I'm willing to deal with those downsides for a roaring V8 and some fun cruising and all that, but for the time it won't be on the road anyway (salt season) I want to pollute as little and travel as cheaply and easily as is possible.

This also means that if anyone chirps me about either car I can pull out a picture of the other and shut them up. If someone wants to call me an ecoweeny, out comes the pic of the 5.8L 4300lb boat. If someone wants to berate me for driving something that gets worse mileage than a Hemi Ram, I just point out the other half of my driving is in a Prius.

For what it's worth though, I've never really gotten any mean-spirited non-joking comments about the Vic's gas use, environmental impact, etc. The same goes for the Prius's ecoweeny factor in the week I've owned it, though I'm sure when I start making trips to swap meets, junkyards, etc. that'll change.

Comment

Nice car mang. No need to defend yourself. Drive what you like and enjoy it.

How's it feel to be a planet-killing eco-weenie?
          1985 Wagon Queen Family Truckster.
          Get It ==G|== Together

Comment

Originally posted by jpc View Post
            Nice car mang. No need to defend yourself. Drive what you like and enjoy it.

How's it feel to be a planet-killing eco-weenie?
            great

Actually the car is generally very odd to drive, and one of the things is you DO have an amazing sensation of speed. I've consistently found myself having to up my speed because I'm going up to 15mph below my normal cruising speed on roads I know well. It's like the car is designed to drive obnoxiously slow and... weenieish. It just does NOT like to be manhandled. I don't want to be a Priusdouche, but I've found myself accidentally driving like one on a couple occasions.

Comment

Ugh. 'Enjoy' that.

Comment

Originally posted by jpc View Post
                No need to defend yourself. Drive what you like and enjoy it.
                :bump:
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

[insert joke here]

Hey I've got it, finally a use for this!

Heck I care more about it being foreign than a hybrid. I was parked next to a Prius a few months ago and spoke with the owner, he liked it. He seemed defensive though like he'd been ribbed on before.

I thought the pic would be good, a study in opposites.

Good luck, don't get electrocuted

Pete
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                  1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                  1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Ah fuck it. Congrats on the good deal!

I'd rather have my diesel than a hybrid, but if the price was right... I understand!
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

hell, I was riding a scooter all spring/summer/fall...!! get that good gas mileage!
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

thanks people lol. Yeah it was certainly an offer I couldn't refuse. It was an "oh shit how fast can I withdraw the money" sorta deal.

I've been getting some serious goodhearted ribbing from my friends. Hot Blooded by Foreigner came on the radio, and my buddy turns to me: "God Dammit John, this just feels so wrong in this car." But I think they realize that's balanced out by being able to cross the city twice without me putting my hand out for them to chip in for gas.

My local gas station attendant was not pleased. Something about me putting him out of business right before christmas.
                        I don't have a good name for her yet... it needs a good nerdy name.

I'm already watching an unhealthy number of V8 ridealong videos (including my own) though...

Oh and I WAS all ready to buy a diesel. But with one parent having everything but the worker's comp lined up for a hip replacement, and the other absolutely refusing to consider learning stick, and the auto diesels in my price range having a poor reputation, they were sort of ruled out. Family first and all that.
                        Last edited by johnunit; 12-21-2011, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                          Yeah, but their auto manufacturing buddies aren't so happy when they see you driving around in a box Panther. Hopefully the dude(tte) who designed these cars is long gone because they are probably looking to lynch him or her.

Johnunit: Excellent! Good for you. Beat the shit outta (but do the maintenance and cleaning) that Prius and leave the CV for fair weather/weekend cruising. I wish I had done that when I was young instead of DD'ing my old Malibu.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                            Ah fuck it. Congrats on the good deal!

I'd rather have my diesel than a hybrid, but if the price was right... I understand!
                            I'm with Tom. Rather have a diesel, but in your situation it sure seems like you made the right decision. The only thing better than saving gas is buying that machine and keeping to a tight budget!

Although, I can't say I think it's a very attractive car...the later generations are more tolerable...but then again, I can't think any time I looked at a Prius and said "That's a sharp lookin' car!" Kinda reminds me of an earlier Kia Rio or something along those lines. But it'll get you from A to B for sure.

Possible names could include: Mother Earth, Terra, Terra Firma, Econa, Green Bean, Electra...ya know, involving the whole green/hybrid movement.

sigpic
                            - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

don't touch the orange wires
                              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Working...
                              X