custom hard wire radar detector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

custom hard wire radar detector

ok so im getting a radar/laser detecter but i dont want to put it on the windshield with those ghetto suction cups. and have a ghetto wire hanging, and have it take up my cig lighter, and maybe have it stolen. (not to mention places where they are illegal oh my)

so i was thinknig. what if i took it apart, put long wires on the front and rear sensors, and the controls, mounted the front sensor below the headlight autodim eye, and the rear one at the back of the vehicle. then moved the controls into the drivers side somewhere near the armrest, and the speaker right by my ear. the display in the a pillar.

can i do that, just add length of wire? would it still work with all of it? id have an on off switch as well.

the only way to find out is to take it apart and see what it looks like. they are built diffrently

Comment

I've always thought of almost the exact same thing. Except I want mine to be a row of LEDs on the dash pad right in front of me. Sensors in the same places as you, and an on/off switch somewhere on the dash. Never really tried it though, I've never used or needed a radar detector anyway.

Comment

when i give it a try ill leave details

Comment

this is the series of the unit im doing.
          it has voice warnings as well. would be cool to wire the front dash speakers to the voice when the detector is in use.

http://www.marineelectronicshoppe.co...ronics/940.asp

Comment

My concern is the wires on the antenna. Adding wire might screw with how well it works. At a minimum you would need shielded coax cable at the proper impedance for the antenna (thats actually what that "sensor" is, a radar antenna).
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

hey pimp, you do know that the cops do have detectors for radar detectors?lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

the vg2 detector? vg2 undetectable has been out for years now. unless they have somthing new

Comment

Youd have to find out exactly what kind of signals are sent and read by the sensors and controls.
                  If they are frequency sensitive signals then change the wire lenth will affect that part of the system.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                  X