96 MGM instrument cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

96 MGM instrument cluster

The only thing I need to fix so far on this new to me 96 MGM is the odometer and trip meter. I understand its a common problem. I would like to swap in a working instrument cluster and then change the gears in mine, have a Fixed spare basically. How hard of a job is it to swap clusters? What all do I need to remove from the dash to get it out? Any help would be appreciated.

Bad odometers/trip odometers are a common problem on 90-94 GM, your shouldn't have that problem.

If your going to swap clusters, why not go with a PI cluster while you're at it?
    Last edited by mcninetyone; 01-05-2012, 02:31 AM.

Comment

So there is no problems with the gears in the 96's? The previous owner said the trip meter was working on and off and then shortly after I got it they both quit. Speedo and other gauges work fine.
      Last edited by Duroc; 01-05-2012, 02:45 AM.

Comment

The gears in a 96 cluster are not known to fall apart like the 90-94's, that doesn't mean that they can't. My guess would be that you've got another problem with the odometer/trip in your car, but the gears are probably fine. You just have to get in there and have a look to see what happened.

I would have another cluster ready to go in for a quick fix, and check out the bad cluster later.
        Last edited by mcninetyone; 01-05-2012, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
          The gears in a 96 cluster are not known to fall apart like the 90-94's, that doesn't mean that they can't. My guess would be that you've got another problem with the odometer/trip in your car, but the gears are probably fine. You just have to get in there and have a look to see what happened.

I would have another cluster ready to go in for a quick fix, and check out the bad cluster later.
          Ya that was my original plan in case I messed up the original the car would still be operable. Now my question is though if not gears then what else might I be looking for? Also I have never opened up the dash to get to the cluster on these cars so a little apprehensive about that.

Comment

Working...
          X