There's Gold in dem dere Junkyards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's Gold in dem dere Junkyards...

A used, driver quality 80-83 Mark VI front clear turn signal lense, just went for $123 on ebay!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160708028191...=STRK:MEDWX:IT

Start hoarding these things, I guarantee the price for them will only go up, until someone finally starts re-popping these in the aftermarket. Everyone I see in the junkyards around here from now on is getting bought and hoarded. I've actually found driver quality ones in the yards here before, and left them behind thinking no one would want them, because of a few stress cracks. That one has several stress cracks and still sold for that much.

Crazy what old parts (some in not what you or I would consider good shape) are going for! Take a look at the prices for entire used GM's on EBAY. C-R-A-Z-Y!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
      ..Take a look at the prices for entire used GM's on EBAY. C-R-A-Z-Y!!!
      These cars are to the point that people are starting to "restore" them. People get a hard-on for a certain age vehicle and decide to treat it as a collector. They are no longer $400 daily drivers, they are $4000 "collector" cars.. I look at the late 70s Torino/LTD II, etc style Thunderbirds and shake my head at what they go for. I treated them as $200 disposable cars in the 80s.

Comment

its sad that people jack the price of their car, cause its "old". just because its old, dont make it a "collector" or "valuable". i see this kinda thing more and more as time goes on. its dumb.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

by the time my 88 is done with me... it'll be worth 2 grand as a shell if this trend continues.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
            by the time my 88 is done with me... it'll be worth 2 grand as a shell if this trend continues.
            I'm selling the brochure from my '87 for that!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I think so many of these were grandpa's car, or are an older person's "last car I'll ever buy" or what have you that people are spending far more than the car is worth.

Even myself, having only owned the car a few years, I could have bought a nicer box for the money I've pumped into mine.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                its sad that people jack the price of their car, cause its "old". just because its old, dont make it a "collector" or "valuable". i see this kinda thing more and more as time goes on. its dumb.
                A car is worth what someone is willing to pay. All it takes is 2 people bidding against each other.

Comment

Yep, lots of pies floating around these Ford Blue skies...

I have an immaculate NOS 79-87 MGM DS front turn signal lens, that nobody wanted even for $45 shipped, lol! I couldn't bring myself to throw it out though, was too nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                    These cars are to the point that people are starting to "restore" them. People get a hard-on for a certain age vehicle and decide to treat it as a collector. They are no longer $400 daily drivers, they are $4000 "collector" cars.. I look at the late 70s Torino/LTD II, etc style Thunderbirds and shake my head at what they go for. I treated them as $200 disposable cars in the 80s.
                    yea me and most of my friends had 74-79 cougars, thunderbirds, ltd2's rancheros, torinos, montegos, elites....most i ever paid for one was 1200 for my low mile clean 78 cougar xr7.......paid 50 bucks for my 77 cougar xr7 and my biddies 78 thunderbird

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                      A car is worth what someone is willing to pay. All it takes is 2 people bidding against each other.
                      but for some reason, society sometimes catches on to these trends lol. its dumb.

Comment

This is sort of going in the opposite direction of the thread but LTDman touched on it:

I have a bunch of useable trim parts that aren't for my car or that I don't need, but I wouldn't wanna charge anyone more than shipping + a bit of my time for. I'm sure lots of other people have similar stuff. Maybe we could set up some sort of area/thread where people list stuff they'd be willing to give away (or maybe a nominal "thank you" charge of 5 bucks or so, plus real shipping costs). It would be useful for crash repair and such.

For instance, I have a complete, decent condition (needs paint but very minimal bodywork) 79-87 Vic fiberglass nose assembly. It'd need paint, and the bumper and grille have some issues, but it's all there with nothing major wrong with it. You could rebuild everything ahead of the hood. I would never bother to list the stuff for profit. In fact, another member who needed more space gave them to me for free. But if someone with a wrecked vic wanted them, I'm not sure I'd ask anything at all besides any delivery cost. I've got belts I can't use (don't fit with underdrive pulley) and stuff too. I'm sure other people do too.

Maybe a thread where it would be understood that the cost of getting one of these "free" parts was gas/shipping plus a 5 dollar donation to GMN?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                          but for some reason, society sometimes catches on to these trends lol...
                          Put it this way... If it is viewed as a "collector" it is less likely to get crushed so it isn't all bad.

I can't remember the last time I saw an actual LTD II with the graphics on it and everything. I went through at least 4 429 powered big Fords and Mercurys over the years and never paid more then $500 for one of them. I had a clean conscience at the time when they ended up in the bone yard because they were so common. I sent several 351W powered Panthers to the crusher because they were so common and didn't pay more than $300 for any of them. I harvested the 351 motors and got rid of the rest. It didn't matter how little rust was on them. There are a couple I sure wish I had now.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                            This is sort of going in the opposite direction of the thread but LTDman touched on it:

I have a bunch of useable trim parts that aren't for my car or that I don't need, but I wouldn't wanna charge anyone more than shipping + a bit of my time for. I'm sure lots of other people have similar stuff. Maybe we could set up some sort of area/thread where people list stuff they'd be willing to give away (or maybe a nominal "thank you" charge of 5 bucks or so, plus real shipping costs). It would be useful for crash repair and such.

For instance, I have a complete, decent condition (needs paint but very minimal bodywork) 79-87 Vic fiberglass nose assembly. It'd need paint, and the bumper and grille have some issues, but it's all there with nothing major wrong with it. You could rebuild everything ahead of the hood. I would never bother to list the stuff for profit. In fact, another member who needed more space gave them to me for free. But if someone with a wrecked vic wanted them, I'm not sure I'd ask anything at all besides any delivery cost. I've got belts I can't use (don't fit with underdrive pulley) and stuff too. I'm sure other people do too.

Maybe a thread where it would be understood that the cost of getting one of these "free" parts was gas/shipping plus a 5 dollar donation to GMN?
                            this is a good idea. i got stuff too, that i did not want to go with my old part coupe. i got doors, hood/trunk lids, steel wheels with nubs, etc. not looking for much money, just a good use for the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                              Excellent idea!
                              '79 Continental Town Car
                              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                              X