Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the TV bushing go on top or bottom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the TV bushing go on top or bottom?

So I have been meaning to replace the plastic throttle valve bushing on my car for a while now, and lo and behold when I went out there to inspect it, it had already been replaced!

It looks like a brass one has been put in place since there is a clip on top. But going by the installation guides I have seen on the net it looks like might have been installed incorrectly. The way I have seen in most guides looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Throttle_valve_bushing_brass.sized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1298607

However, mine has been installed like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tvcablebushing.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1298608

See how the disc portion is above instead of below? Will this make any difference? It's been on there for at least 4 years already anyway so I'm guessing it's probably going to be alright.

But this makes me wonder if this has been fitted as a precautionary measure, or if it has failed before. Any way to tell?

Top picture is correct. The larger shoulder goes to the bottom, and the clip goes on top. If its backwards, it could possibly move. Flip it over and you're good to go.

The bushing was a ford service item. If you brought the car in with shifting problems or if the trans smoked, they replaced the plastic part with the brass one. It did not come from the factory with that part, but its not uncommon to find it installed either.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

If I unclip it will I have to readjust the spring?

Comment

No. just don't loose track of that clip or you'll find out real fast why it's called a Jesus clip.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

^lol!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
          X