Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need to copy my 2001 GM key. Dealer option only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to copy my 2001 GM key. Dealer option only?

I have only 1 key to my car so I want to have a copy to give my wife and a backup to keep in my safe. With only 1 key will I have to make a dreaded costly trip to the dealer? Or is there a $$$ saving workaround?
    '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
    '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Dealer item only I believe... 2001 should be a PATS key, and it'll need to be programmed to your ride.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
    Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

Yeah it's a PATS key. I found a 2 pack on ebay for like $18 total. I wonder if the dealer will cut and program aftermarkets keys or if they will be a bunch of dicks cuz it's not 'their' key. Maybe I'll check the phonebook for locksmith services cuz I really hate going to the dealer for parts & service.
      '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Originally posted by r2t View Post
        Maybe I'll check the phonebook for locksmith services cuz I really hate going to the dealer for parts & service.
        That is the way to go. Or drive over here and I will do it for you.
        PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT MUCH USE, BUT I STILL SMILE WHEN I SEE ONE TUMBLE DOWN THE STAIRS

Comment

Originally posted by way2old View Post
          That is the way to go. Or drive over here and I will do it for you.

I am guessing you are a ways away from Richmond, VA?
          '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Not too far. Lexington, Ky.
            PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT MUCH USE, BUT I STILL SMILE WHEN I SEE ONE TUMBLE DOWN THE STAIRS

Comment

ACE hardware was able to do a 1999 ranger H-style (pats, I think?) key, cut and programmed, for $85.
              Still not cheap.

Why did you buy a 2001? I got FOUR keys for my 1990 for just $7 at home depot, including tax *sticks out tongue*
              just kidding... the only anti-theft device on my car, is the fact that it's a dinosaur of a beater car that no one wants to steal!

Comment

dunno if the dealer is much more, actually. Dealer might "only" want $100 total anyway.
                At least it's not a $400 volvo key!

Comment

100-125, extra keys about 25 on top of that IIRC. Thing is, if you search for Programming PATS key, you can find instructions, there's a process to clone your chip in your key onto new ones, but the key has to be the master key (you have maybe 50-50 chance since your car only came with one key. Anybody can cut it, but you can make yourself copies of your own PATS keys with the car itself.
                  Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Yeah I read where you can clone a key by yourself but you need 2 copies in order to copy a 3rd by way of the ignition.
                    '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Thanks, BerniniCaCO3! I called Ace and they charge $75 for PATS key copies. One of the dealers I called wanted $150. EFFF YOUUU!!
                      '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

I ended up going to Home Depot and it cost me $73 after tax. Now I gotta order 2 PATS blanks from ebay for $15, have em cut, then program them myself.
                        '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Working...
                        X