Manual 4r70w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual 4r70w

I have just finished my 351 swap and am now looking at the transmission. With 198k miles, my AOD is hurting. So I have found a 4r70w out of a 98 v6 stang. I am going to run a full manual valve body. I want to make sure my calculations are correct. By running a manual valve body, I no longer need a computer or tps, correct? All I need to wire up will be a overdrive switch and a torque converter lock switch? Thanks for the information, hope to have it running again soon.

-blane
    85' Crown Vic 2dr. Small tire stock block grudge car.
    09’ CTS-V family car making over 700whp with ease.
    79’ f350 427 ls7 swapped with th400. Prerunner setup
    64’ c30 dually. Slammed and turbo 5.3 with 4l80e

and the usual suspects: neutral safety switch and reverse lights.

I think that's right since a full manual VB will eliminate the shift servos that are computer controlled.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My only thought is, how will you control line pressure?

Comment

i think with manual VBs, line pressure is just set full.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah... constant pressure is the rule with manual valve bodies.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Okay, thanks y'all. Now that I know it will work that easily, I question the torque converter? Will the v6 converter work well for a 351, or do I need to get an aftermarket one? This is still a daily driver that will see some track time on the weekends. I will soon be doing a rear end swap to 3.27 or 3.55 gears, if that will make a difference to torque converter needed?

-Blane

Comment

You do realize the valvebody alone is a grand correct?
              1989 Grand Marquis LS
              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Yes, and I believe that it is worth it too. Less hassle, unique, wide ratio, and overdrive lockout is nice function. I think it is better than buying a built c4 then getting a 'gear vendors' overdrive for 3 grand.

-Blane

Comment

Will you be using the stock column shifter? And if so, how will you attach it to the lever on the trans?

Comment

No, the shifter will be in the floor. I believe Hurst makes the proper shifter for it with a button for a transbrake. I just don't like the idea of a column shifter at all.

-Blane

Comment

You might find out if some other parts in the tranny need upgraded to handle the pressure. Such a thing will tax other parts in the drive line. B&M was one ok the few that would work with an AOD dont know about a 4r. Also not shure if the trans break or line lock is a momentary switch or not.

I moded a truck B&M shifter to acheave the best egonomic shifter position.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1268429
                      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                      X