ABS and Traction Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABS and Traction Control

I've had this 2002 Grand Marquis for almost a month now. Yesterday I drove it on the interstate for the first time.

Shortly after getting up to speed, the ABS and Traction Control lights both came on. It didn't seem to have any affect on the performance of the car at all. It did the same thing on the return trip.

I'm not sure if this indicates a real problem or not. Anyone seen this before?

I'd check the wheel sensor wire harnesses to make sure they're properly attached and not just hanging in the breeze. It sounds like something involving the speed or wheel sensors, but not having ever actually had any vehicles like that... I can't say for sure. Also, make sure tire pairs have the same pressure (fronts, rears) and size tires so that they are not spinning at different speeds. I don't know if that would cause issues with those systems, but it's always good to make sure you have good pressure in the tires.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

abs and traction control are mostly part of the same system, uses the same sensors at least. It does sound like a faulty wheel sensor. It should set a code to tell you which one. I think it only monitors the tires on a given axle against each other, meaning the fronts are checked against one another and the rears are checked against one another, but I don't think the front is checked against the back. If you have different tires on one axle, it will do goofy stuff.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sounds like a wheel speed sensor.

Comment

Working...
        X