Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daytime running lamps stay on when car is off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daytime running lamps stay on when car is off.

Hi. My 97 MGM has developed a weird problem. When I turn the ignition off and get out of the car, the daytime running lamps do not turn off. The headlight switch seems to work ok as the headlights come on, but even with the headlights on the DTRLs stay on at the same time (I assume they switched off with the headlights on...never actually checked). The high-beams also work (since they are in fact the same bulbs as the daytime running lamps at higher power). Everything seems to work ok except that those damned lamps stay on no matter what I do. I've even tried setting the light-switch from off to auto to see if they'd shut down after a few minutes and no go. I've had to resort to yanking the fuse for the high-beams under the hood in order to prevent my battery from dying.

Is there anything obvious I can try? Is it the switch in the cab or some control module that's gone wonky? I don't care about having daytime running lights and I never use my high-beams in the city, but still...it bugs me.

Thanks
    Last edited by Geezertron; 01-28-2012, 12:05 PM.

im sure someone can chime in. there will be a DRL module somewhere. it or maybe the light control module, had gone wonky. thats my guess.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

yeah... IIRC the DRLs are controlled by the LCM and you probably have a case of welded relay. If the DRLs have their own module... the problem is still the same. I'd check the relays in the underhood box first. I remember there being DRL relays in some cars, but can't remember which at the moment (may not even be Fords either, but it's worth a look). But yeah, there's a shorted relay in there somewhere.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Relays eh? Cool...I'll check it out. I've got the "Haynes Repair Manual" for the Grand Marquis kicking around here somewhere, so hopefully there's something in there showing where the relays are and how to remove them.

Thanks for the replies!

Comment

the fuse box under the hood next to the battery is where the relay would be if it's not part of the lighting control module. If it is the LCM, you'll have to manually test the relays to find which one is screwed and then desolder it and replace it unless you want to pay through the nose for a new module.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ok...so it's in the same box from which I pulled the fuse. Will check it out. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X