Stranded 2005 GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stranded 2005 GM

Pulled into a parking spot today, put car in park and it began to role backwards. The transmission won't go into gear at all and it just revs. The shifter feels loose and doesnt do anything. After i shut the car off it didn't start back up but didn't crank or anything. Any Help? Only 70,000 miles on it and no other problems

My first guess is that you've got broken or disconnected linkage some where between the shifter and the tranny.
    Probably closer to the tranny end of it, under the car.

Comment

Could be the yoke splines too or poss bad converter?
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

sounds like a broken shift tube on the steering column.....common problem with 90 and newer panthers

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Okay, first thing... DON'T PANIC! Second thing, you need to climb up under the car and locate the shift linkage. What you've described is what happens when you turn the car off when it's in gear. The Park/Neutral saftey switch will prevent the car from starting unless its in Park or Neutral. If everything on the linkage end looks okay, I'd say LincolnMania is right, probably the shifter tube on the column.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
          Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

Check your cable. If you can move the gear selector on the side of the transmission (Manual Lever Position Sesnor or MLPS) by hand, thenm your cable and or column tube is boned.
            I'd also check to make sure that the end of the cable that attaches to the transmission isn't lose. They changed from a clip style to a arm/pin style. The end of the cable has an eyelet on it and goes on the pin which has a 18mm nut that holds it on. The eyelet is oblonged, so it can be adjusted if needed. If it is loose and slides too far, it will totally knock your gear selection out of whack, to include Park.
            Check that stuff out and get back to us so we can see if you solved the problem, or we need to futher diagnosis.

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Thanks for the help, gunna check it out now.

Comment

And he was never heard from again... the parking lot lizards must've gotten 'im!
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Was the shifter cable but its fixed now. Hopefully the car will be good for a few more years without any problems now

Comment

If you need more help, you know where to visit
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Good deal. Was it broken or out of adjustment?

-ryan s.
                      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                      Originally posted by pantera77
                      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

It was broken unfortunately. So far this car has more problems then my 1997 Crown Vic ever had with double the miles on it. Right side cat converter, a deactivation switch for the cruise control, and the shifter cable, and the paint is peeling in a few spots.. it gets washed twice a month. Wish I kept my '97 it only broke once with the plastic intake manifold cracking. I don't mean to complain, its just upsetting to have all these dumb problems in such a nice car with only 71000 miles :/
                        But now the headlights keep going out at night. Seems like it is going to be the headlight control module??

Comment

[QUOTE=willman93;the paint is peeling in a few spots..[/QUOTE]

My Grandfather's 04 the paint peeled off the hood about a year or so ago. No warning either, he took it through the car wash and 25% of the paint was gone from the hood right to the primer. The bodyshop guy said there had to be contamination from when it was originally painted.

Luckily the car was white, so I just had the shop take the hood off the car and respray it. We got lucky and its a perfect match. If it was any other color, it would probably look a bit off doing it that way.
                          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                          Past Panthers
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                            My Grandfather's 04 the paint peeled off the hood about a year or so ago. No warning either, he took it through the car wash and 25% of the paint was gone from the hood right to the primer. The bodyshop guy said there had to be contamination from when it was originally painted.

Luckily the car was white, so I just had the shop take the hood off the car and respray it. We got lucky and its a perfect match. If it was any other color, it would probably look a bit off doing it that way.
                            This is another reason why white is a superior paint color.

*awaits the politically incorrect quotes*

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by willman93 View Post
                              But now the headlights keep going out at night. Seems like it is going to be the headlight control module??
                              Probably. Very common. Can you get the brights to work if you hold the switch?

It's a very easy fix though.

Pete
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                              1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                              1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Working...
                              X