Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single Exhaust

ALCON:
    I am considering changing out my stock muffler for a more performance oriented one. Since the single/dual exhuast from the factory was a 15hp swing on the PI engines, clearly they left quite a bit on the table with a single exhaust. I figure if I can do one myself it may be cost effective from a performance/economy point of view. I don't think 5 real world horsepower would be unrealistic. I don't want something loud at idle. Any suggestions? I want a direct weld/clamp on, no reducers or anything 2" in and out. Summit has quite a few candidates. Any suggestions?
    2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    185 degree stat. 21mm rear swaybar with moog end links, Moog progressive rear springs.
    JLT intake, B&M transmission pan, 2.25 inch duals, magnaflows, Powerstop drilled/slotted front rotors and ceramic pads. Kenwood Excelon deck, Kenwood 6x8 3-ways all the way around.

anything will be an improvement. If you want quiet but a mild performance boost, generally anything with the term "turbo" and a largish case is relatively quiet.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

that said, you won't get anywhere NEAR the improvement you see going to dual exhaust. The main restriction is that single 2 inch diameter pipe, not the mufflers or cats or anything else in the system.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

I hear that, you are absolutely right. I just dont want to drop $350 on a dual alluminized system when I can keep my stainless stuff and clamp in a stainless muffler for way under $100 and get some benefit.
        185 degree stat. 21mm rear swaybar with moog end links, Moog progressive rear springs.
        JLT intake, B&M transmission pan, 2.25 inch duals, magnaflows, Powerstop drilled/slotted front rotors and ceramic pads. Kenwood Excelon deck, Kenwood 6x8 3-ways all the way around.

Comment

true enough. It MAY be worth checking local yards for wrecked dual exhaust cars.

Comment

I would love to find one of those!

Comment

Have you looked at Rockauto.com ? I guess it's all aluminized stuff but an H-pipe is only 40.00 bucks. And the left side tailpipe is like 37.00 bucks. Get some hangers etc. Get some stock length mufflers and it's all a bolt on...

Here in California aluminized lasts a long time but in Virginia I imagine stainless would be better.

Comment

I got my tail pipe from advance for $27.

-ryan s.
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Come get mine out of the garage, for free. In Alabama.
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

free ftw! Drive up... swap out... drive off :-p

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So you can do an H pipe and a driver side tail pipe and re-use the stock tailpipe? interesting...

Comment

Yup. As long as it's in good condition. Mine was shit and just replaced everything.
                        Check here for pics. About near the bottom of the page:
                        http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...t-(TOJ2)/page3
                        Make sure to get new gaskets for the front of the H-pipe where it mounts to the cats. And a hanger for the drivers side. I went with the Trush Turbo mufflers on my car. Nice, decent sound, $27 each, and I still get 28 mpg highway.
                        It works, since I know you're talking about the efficiency aspect of it.

-ryan s.
                        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                        Originally posted by pantera77
                        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                        X