Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what does "adjusting bands" mean for a transmission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what does "adjusting bands" mean for a transmission?

Nothing I've heard in regard to the AOD, but, I'm curious what it means.
    Saw a reference to it for an early 70s era automatic trans, and on a jeep forum, and if I looked I'm sure I'd hear about it in more places than those.

Now that I've seen a transmission apart, I've seen the bands. Pretty simple: like a strap clamp, or like a band clamp for exhaust work, it just wraps around a drum and when the servo piston applies, it cinches around the drum and locks it.

Feasibly, as, say, drum shoes wear in your rear brakes, there's a mechanism to continuously take up the slack and keep them tight.
    There's no such mechanism in a transmission. So does "adjusting my bands" mean advancing the servo pistons somehow to accommodate thinning friction material on the band?

HOWEVER, my understanding now, is that the friction material is very thin indeed, and basically does not wear down. If it's wearing down, something's very wrong, and it won't be long until it's metal on metal.
    So if my assumption about what adjusting bands means, is right, then I can conclude that it's a last-ditch effort to save a transmission with slipping bands?
Working...
X