2001 grand marquis help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 grand marquis help

Im not really a car guy, so I don't know that much lingo. I have a 2001 grand marquis LS and I want to upgrade the performance, but I have no idea how. Any advice would help. Thanks

Your best bet to upgrade the performance is to have dual exhaust put on. It's worth anywhere from 15-20 HP.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Needs MOAR info! How about a pic or two, show us what you're working with. What kind of performance are you looking for? Lots of potential upgrades, but it all depends on what you want to do with the car. More performance is pretty subjective. Personally, I'd like to get better performance in the braking and handling department. Researching those mods now.
      Last edited by Ziggy; 02-07-2012, 01:28 PM.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
      Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

yes, more info! cause you might have shite rear gear ratio too. so that would be another good upgrade.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

What are your performance goals?

Comment

What I'm.looking for is something that can make my car essentially a race car. I want to be able to switch gears faster, brake easier, and go faster than other cars I see. And I also want to but it in an actual race.

Comment

making it a racecar will be difficult, as your car is NOT a vehicle many people turn into a race car. You could go to any number of companies or shops with a Mustang, Camaro, Civic, etc. and turn it into a car suitable for organized racing. Not so with your grand marquis.

However, there are things you can do that will make it faster, handle better, etc.

It's not cheap though. As a VERY rough guideline, if you spend your money right you might cut a second off your 0-60mph time (currently probably a little over 8 seconds) for a thousand dollars. This could be accomplished with a modified exhaust system and a tune, or a changed rear end ratio. A rear end ratio swap will change the actual gears in your rear axle, with the effect of giving you more "leverage" and therefore more acceleration in each gear, but causing the engine to spin faster at a given speed in a given gear. Depending on what rear gears you have right now and which you change to, this could cause a significant loss of fuel economy.

I don't mean to be a downer, but it's VERY common for a person new to modifying cars to find out the hard way that speed gets very expensive very fast.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

What is your budget?

Comment

Budget is important.

Also, is this a car you will be driving regularly? how loud are you ok with it being? Would you be willing to live with a harsher ride? Worse fuel economy? Where are you located?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                    making it a racecar will be difficult, as your car is NOT a vehicle many people turn into a race car. You could go to any number of companies or shops with a Mustang, Camaro, Civic, etc. and turn it into a car suitable for organized racing. Not so with your grand marquis...
                    I have to disagree. It is significantly more expensive when you step into the higher levels but it is no more expensive nor difficult to enter a Crown Vic into several sportsman classes of racing. Someone with a Crown Vic could easily dominate the 15 second or even 14 second index of NMRA True Street.
                    If things go well, I will be competing at either the 12 or 13 second index this year with a modest budget.

Comment

Originally posted by iphearbunnies View Post
                      What I'm.looking for is something that can make my car essentially a race car. I want to be able to switch gears faster, brake easier, and go faster than other cars I see. And I also want to but it in an actual race.
                      Your Crown Vic is not a Mustang and will never be one. That being said, from the factory it already goes faster, corners and brakes better, and is cheaper to work on then many old "classic" cars which people drool over. People pay big bucks to update the brakes and suspension of a Galaxie or even Torino just to get to where the Panther platform is from the factory.
                      Back to the most relevant question at hand.... What is your budget?
                      The second most relevant question is.. Does this have to be your daily driver??

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                        I have to disagree. It is significantly more expensive when you step into the higher levels but it is no more expensive nor difficult to enter a Crown Vic into several sportsman classes of racing. Someone with a Crown Vic could easily dominate the 15 second or even 14 second index of NMRA True Street.
                        If things go well, I will be competing at either the 12 or 13 second index this year with a modest budget.
                        I was more assuming they meant road racing. Yes drag racing is something any mustang shop could accomplish, or the owner themselves if they're willing to learn.

Comment

Yes it is my regular car and no I don't care about how loud it is. Im doing this to show my car is a drag car it I build it right. I will not race illegally.

Comment

What is your Budget?????

Comment

My budget is not unlimited but its not scarce.

Comment

Working...
                              X