Cold air intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold air intake

If I get the marauder air intake set up would that be better than getting a aftermarket grand marquis cold air intake?

What car, again, is it for???

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Said in his chip vs. tuner thread it's a 2000 MGM GS with 26k miles...

Which aftermarket "cold air" kits are you looking at? Reason being, there are a lot of companies that will sell you a "cold air" that that consists of basically a piece of pvc pipe and an open, conical filter. If the kits you're looking at don't put the air intake outside of the engine bay (ie: in the fender well, or otherwise sealed off from the rest of the engine bay) all you're doing is sucking WARMER ambient air from the engine bay into the car. Which is exactly the opposite of what you're trying to do.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
      Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

the marauder intake is just like the regular intake with larger openings. It's a fresh air intake for all intents by pulling air from the gap behind the headlights. The only issues you might have is switching to the 6-wire MAF. I don't know if the 2000 models already used the 6 wire or not. Also, you'll need a tune to match the MAF to the car since it's a larger diameter to really get the benefits out of it. I think the stock MAF will bolt onto the marauder box though, so you can just use the box until you can get a tune set up for the MAF swap. If yours has the 4 wire MAF, you just have to change the harness to the 6 wire to use the marauder maf. I don't know the pinouts though for the proper splicing. I do know that the air temp sensor that sites in the stock airbox on 4 wire systems is the extra wires needed to fill out the 6 wire.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The CAI from ADTR. The sound is worth every penny. Has the most intoxicating intake growl.
          sigpic
          2009 GM, 45,000 miles
          ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

Comment

Does anybody know if the marauder intake will fit a 2000 marquis I heard u gotta buy a police intercepter tube and it will fit

Comment

What are some other good aftermarket cold air intakes I can get do I still need a tune if I get one

Comment

Can't tell you which CAI is good/best, only that it needs to have a good heat shield or it won't actually deliver cold air. If
                you want the full benefits of CAI you'll need a tune/chip. Reason being is that, the benefit occurs at higher RPMs, if you don't raise your shift points you may never reach that range before the trans. shifts(short shifting)

Comment

The Marauder intake will fit you '00 just fine. The big advantage with the Marauder intake is not so much that it flows better (which it does, significantly), its the larger MAF sensor and the tune that goes with it. The Marauder MAF is 80mm and is capable of reading higher velocity air, such as at high RPMs, as well as being more precise than the stock 70mm MAF. This might not be super important on a stock NPI 4.6 backed by a why-pipe exhaust, but if you start modding and can get that engine to breathe, then it becomes more helpful. The tune is where its at, a good tune will increase power across the board, thru all RPMs.
                  -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                  1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                  1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                  1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

I used to cut some holes on the fender side of the airbox on my police cars. Nice growl and it felt like it picked up some power.
                    2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                    185 degree stat. 21mm rear swaybar with moog end links, Moog progressive rear springs.
                    JLT intake, B&M transmission pan, 2.25 inch duals, magnaflows, Powerstop drilled/slotted front rotors and ceramic pads. Kenwood Excelon deck, Kenwood 6x8 3-ways all the way around.

Comment

Um, the Marauder tube will not fit.
                      Mainly, because it has a dual 57mm throttle body. Which is totally different from a 16v intake.
                      You will need the PI zip tube. And *IF* you want, a 80mm MAF, then you NEED a tune. You could do a warm-air, short ram style intake or get a Marauder airbox.
                      If I were you, I would throw a few mods on first(Ported upper plenum, 70mm throttle body, underdrive pulleys, 3.73 or 4.10 gears, dual exhaust and a J-Mod) then get the tune. If you change out the rear gears, you need to get the correct color speed sensor gear so that your speedometer isn't off.
                      You can do all the aforementioned mods without needing a tune.
                      If you put these all on, add the 80 MAF, then get a tune, you will see a better return on your tune. Not just performance wise, but money wise.
                      To give you an idea, on my 93, i have:
                      CAI, no pump fan, MSD coils, 9mm wires, dual exhaust with 2 less cats, J-mod all with NO TUNE.
                      In about a month, I'm installing a 06 CVPI motor, under drive pulleys, A/C Delete, along with a Marauder torque converter with a rebuilt transmission.
                      No tunes required.
                      Now, I will be at the threshold of my PCM's capability. just to show you how much you can do without a tune.
                      After the supercharger goes on my Marauder, the 80mm MAF will go on the Tank, and then, I will have to pay for the tune.
                      But GD-it-all, it will fly after that!

I hope all this text was worth your time.

-ryan s.
                      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                      Originally posted by pantera77
                      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Here is the end of the stock Marauder intake that goes over the throttle body:

More oval-like instead of round, like a 65mm throttle body.

-ryan s.
                        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                        Originally posted by pantera77
                        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

MZT is by far the best money spent. don't know what MZT is? read the updated link here;

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...71#Post1320971
                          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

btw.. Pete has one for sale;

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...x-MAF-zip-tube
                            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

The afe cold air intakes are the most common intakes and every one seems happy with them. What's the difference between the pro 5R and the dry S which one is better. And should you buy the cleaning kit they recommend or can I just clean it with water and a vacuum? Do they also have a spare air filter you can buy for that in case it gets damaged

Comment

Working...
                              X