'12 Mazda5 Touring, "555-95472"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'12 Mazda5 Touring, "555-95472"

I have determined that most people, especially family guys with 2 or so kids, ought to have one of these in the stable.

It started when I started talking about getting a people-hauler of some sort, and my wife realized that contrary to my previous conviction, we really could afford something new. I can't remember exactly how I learned about this vehicle, but I do remember that it was one of two that looked favorable when my wife searched online the following day for 6+ seats, low price, and semi-OK fuel economy. When we went to the dealer I was prepared to think it was useful but not particularly interesting. Turned out we both REALLY liked it, enough that we bought the one from the showroom floor!

Power from the little 2.5L is adequate and pretty zippy through First gear, the 5-speed auto seems to have sensible ratios, and braking and handling are quite sharp. The ride's pretty stiff, but I'm finding it's really pretty cushy compared to other newer stuff with big-inch wheels (the Touring comes with 17 inchers). There are some annoyances and weirdnesses, especially for someone who's never dealt with a really modern car, but I'm finding they're pretty minor. My biggest real whine is probably the lack of surplus stowage compared to a Panther with all its wasted space.

What's most entertaining to me is how much a car can change someone's life. Not having a project as a DD has meant almost an infinite amount of additional time and brain power to dedicate to essential household neatening (important with a second kid on the way!) and generally being more of a proper family guy. Compared to the steady stream of tools and parts I was buying (which was still nothing like what the Fords actually needed), combined with a little less eating out, we're not at all worse off financially. The easier starting and good fuel economy mean I don't get hopping mad whenever someone suggests that I drive somewhere. And best of all, I finally have a DD my wife will drive, which means we can take it on trips without me having to drive all the way there and back. Now I'm almost thinking I should have swapped the Colony Park out for a fist-gen MPV way back in the day, and never stuck with Panthers at all!

Check out the pic of the Five parked between a DisAstro and a Malibu Max. It's entertaining how useful it is for its compact size.
    Attached Files
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

What's with the "555-9472" in your subject line? Your e-mails come through to me with the same weirdness.

I agree with what you said of the Mazda 5. It is a lot more desirable than I had first thought. I strongly recommend the OEM all-weather mats for it.

When you and I were talking cars able to move more than four while still being agreeable in size and handling to your wife, this car came up a few times. My vehicle of choice was the Ford Flex SE, which I remember trying to get you to look at as well. Ecoboost or not, it is a darn good family/utility vehicle. Too bad a base Flex with just the two options I wanted, the towing package and 2nd-row buckets, was about $12k more than what I ended up with even with my supplier discount.

Try not to let people slam the rear sliders on your new car. They easily close with just one finger. Mazda put a lot of effort into making them smooth and just the right feel. Have you seen the video of the engineer responsible for them?

Is that disastro-van really parked as close as it seems in your pic?

Comment

I generally really like the way Mazdas are designed. Stylish, but not unintuitive or fussy. Mostly the interior and controls. They also seems to have a great handling/ride balance. Never driven a 5 but the 3 and 6 are probably my favourites in their classes.

What's the space like in the rear seat?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

The 2nd row buckets are mounted on sliders. If no one is in the 3rd row and you have them all the way back, it's actually pretty roomy. The 2nd row lower seat cushions are longer than the first row, so they're also more comfortable (to me at least).

It's based off the 3 so imagine a longer, taller 3 with a lot better view out front and you've got a good idea of it. Precise, quick steering and no-nonsense ride tuning.

Comment

A few people at work have newer 6s and a 3 and they all love them. 1987CP, that is a nice looking ride. Good luck with it, nothing like having a new, safe, reliable hauler for the family.
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
            What's with the "555-95472" in your subject line? Your e-mails come through to me with the same weirdness.

Try not to let people slam the rear sliders on your new car. They easily close with just one finger. Mazda put a lot of effort into making them smooth and just the right feel. Have you seen the video of the engineer responsible for them?

Is that disastro-van really parked as close as it seems in your pic?
            - That's what I've decided to kinda-sorta name the car. I take it you never read the Peanuts strips from the '60s where Charlie Brown meets a kid named 5?

- So far I've made comments to two different passengers about roughing up the sliders! I guess they do look heftier than they really are, but maybe I picked up on the ease-of-moving faster than some people. Do you have a link to said video?

- No, I MS-Painted it over a bit.

And I had wanted to look at a Flex, but the price was an obvious no-go, even more so than for the Kia Sorrento or Sedona.

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
            I generally really like the way Mazdas are designed. Stylish, but not unintuitive or fussy. Mostly the interior and controls. They also seems to have a great handling/ride balance. Never driven a 5 but the 3 and 6 are probably my favourites in their classes.

What's the space like in the rear seat?
            What TOTCG said. It's a great-driving little car that's also about as good as having a big car. I've not driven a 3, but sat in one in the showroom and liked it ... the 6 feels quicker with the same engine and transaxle, but the brakes and steering feel vague compared to the 5. Rear seat space is acceptable unless you have big feet, as your foot room is taken up by the clever storage compartments that are accessed by folding up the second-row seat bases. So, tight for me with a size 10 shoe, not so acceptable to TOTCG with his size 12s. But really, except for toe room, the Five's way-back is comparable to the back seat of a normal current-production coupe or sedan.

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
            Good luck with it, nothing like having a new, safe, reliable hauler for the family.
            Absolutely! Did I mention how relieved I am to have something I trust better, is more convenient, and my wife is willing to drive?

Oh yes ... one of the downsides of this car is the really low ride height. I can barely get my floor jack under it from the side, and TOTCG found that the air dam tends to dig into snowy ice accumulations out his way. (You knew his family got one too, right?)

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              And I had wanted to look at a Flex, but the price was an obvious no-go, even more so than for the Kia Sorrento or Sedona.
              I really liked the Flex, and was willing to spend the extra $$$ to get it. I found one almost like what I wanted in Chicago for $4k less than what dealers out here wanted for the same thing, but my wife had already test driven the 5 and well, that was that, lol. She drove the Sport on the 16's they had on the lot, so the Touring on the 17's was a pleasant surprise for her when we went to take the delivery test-drive. According to her they feel a lot different. I went in there to see if they would give us the one in the showroom for the same price they offered the demo for and surprisingly, they did with no haggling whatsoever so the rest is history.

Oh yes ... one of the downsides of this car is the really low ride height. I can barely get my floor jack under it from the side, and TOTCG found that the air dam tends to dig into snowy ice accumulations out his way. (You knew his family got one too, right?)
              I was pleased to find that Mazda equipped the motor with a normal spin-on filter unlike the Ford contraption on the same engine. Looks like you can get the filter from up above, too. Dunno about the drain plug yet, but there is hope of not having to jack the car up for oil changes once the warranty expires.

I hadn't mentioned to anyone here that I had one, too. Now that you have, I'll mention that my wife also wanted the one on the showroom floor as well. Ours is Clearwater Blue with all black interior. Moonroof and Audio upgrade packages like yours as well. The all weather mats are in and are very nice for the money. Cargo cover, tint, and HIDs are on the way. Spoke to her about an Infinity Basslink, as she's really liking the Bluetooth streaming and her tunes now, so she wants the thing to sound more like the Town and Country or Mustang's setups. Decided against remote start as the OEM one is illogical and involves major wiring mods and she finds the thing heats up quick. I need to find some place that has one in stock to plunk in there to see how much space it takes up. I'm thinking it will be too much.

I got the driveway dug out so I get my other DD back now as her 5 got back on the road today. The Mustang is decent with the Conti snows but still nowhere near as good as my 4600# beast with crappy all-seasons. I'm getting all kinds of negative comments for driving the rust-free never seen rain-or-snow Mustang in these conditions so the regained anonymity will be welcomed.

One thing to note, ours came with Toyos, they are crisper but also louder/courser than the Bridgestones on the Grand Touring I test drove. What's under yours?
              Last edited by torquelover; 02-15-2012, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Looked to me like the filter is accessed from below through a convenient hole in the aerodynamic belly pan. Drain plug is just aft of the pan, very convenient once you're underneath - which process is comparable with the car on ramps to getting under the P72 without ramps. LOL @ the Mazdas247 guys who are actually lowering their Fives!!

I don't think you're going to find room for that subwoofer, unless maybe you can squeeze one under a front seat or inside the driver's side second-row storage bin. Could probably fit the drop-into-the-spare-wheel type, provided you aren't keeping an emergency kit there like I am. I'm also carrying my speed handle and 21mm socket in the little tray thing out back, since I don't see how you're supposed to undo the spare tire hold-down bolt with the stock lug wrench. Did I mention that the only place I could find to stash washer fluid was inside the right-hand cubby out back, and that only after squeezing some air out of the already flattish Prestone de-icer bottle? Oil and ATF quarts might be able to fit in the tray, but if I ever have to carry extra coolant, the washer fluid will have to stay home!

My tires are the Toyo A18s. They seem decent except for the sidewalls being too short for Michigan potholes. Too bad even stuff like the nice all-season floormats is probably going to have to wait, as we'll be having birth center fees soon, plus we'll be spending at least $200 on additional child seats. Though speaking of expensive junk, Ace Hardware said they can cut and program a transponder key for $72, which is still stupid but sounds a lot better than the dealer's $110 just for programming!

BTW, I don't know squat about warranties. Does the normal warranty specify that the dealer has to change the oil? I also need to find how to clean little muddy footprints from the seats without removing whatever protective stuff was applied per the extra-junk warranty we bought .....
                Last edited by 1987cp; 02-16-2012, 12:00 AM.

Comment

I used some Resolve in a red spray can at the house today. Worked well. Did you look in the clear adhesive roll of carpet protectant I mentioned to you earlier? I hear you on the upcoming kiddo costs.

You will need to have documentation of proper maintenance if anything happens. Just showing random receipts is not enough. The local dealer does a synthetic oil change, full inspection, and a hand wash for under $40 which is an absolute bargain. Just the materials cost me more. Gets you in the showroom though, which is just what they want, lol. I wouldn't mind driving a new manual 2 if given the chance. I hear the combo of super light weight, slick shifter, and great steering is a blast.

Yes, it's intended to change the oil from below on the 5, but I did notice you could service the filter from above if needed.

And here is the vid about the guy who designed the door on the 5:

Comment

Funny. So showing receipts for 0W20 and a suitable filter plus a log note "changed oil at xxxx miles" is no good?

Neat vid.
                    Last edited by 1987cp; 02-16-2012, 08:53 AM.

Comment

IMHO if the dealer does an oil change at a good (or even better "subsidized" loss leader price) let them do it. If you have any engine problems you will have no warranty problems. The dealers and manufacturer reps are BRUTAL on home/outside shop serviced vehicles.

I won't go into details, but on another forum I frequent a poster was turned down for an engine replacement due to a clerical error either on his log OR their end when the vehicle was in for other work. The mechanics even said "this is one of the cleanest engines we've ever seen" didn't matter denied claim,
                      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                      Past Panthers
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

^ Eek, but thanks for the advice!

Oh well, less oil for me to forget to take back to VatoZone.

Comment

FWIW, regular price for the 0W20 oil change at my local Mazda dealer is $55. Still a decent deal, other than having to drive 14 miles one way to get there, since when I bought a back-up quart of zero-weight Mobil1 at AutoZone it cost $9.

Comment

FWIW, regular price for the 0W20 oil change at my local Mazda dealer is $55. Still a decent deal, other than having to drive 14 miles one way to get there, since when I bought a back-up quart of zero-weight Mobil1 at AutoZone it cost $9.
                            ALmost $90 for synthetic oil change in my area. I am glad that I can do that myself.

Also glad that you seem to be doing alright.

Packman

Comment

hmm... castrol syntech 5w20 for my vic's 03 pi engine... ~$25 out the door after taxes at walmart for 5 quarts. $4 oil filter... done for $30 and 30 minutes at home. I don't even consider letting shops change my oil since I put the fumoto valves on.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X