Merc/Ford and Lincoln AOD differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merc/Ford and Lincoln AOD differences

I am looking at several AOD's from 1989-1990 and all of them are Ford Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis....I know this has been beat to death, but I'm not finding anything conclusive in my searches online. So I looked up in AllData the tailshafts available for Ford/Linc/Merc AOD's in 1989, they are

15" long 7 tooth speedo gear - E8AZ7060B
    16" long 7 tooth speedo gear - E8TZ7060B
    and
    15" long 8 tooth speedo gear - E8AZ7060A
    16" long 8 tooth speedo gear - E8LY7060A

So I assume that the Ford/Merc have a 15" tailshaft and the Town Cars got the 16"...can anyone confirm this? If there is only one inch difference my same driveshaft should fit because it just slips over the tailshaft and has some extra space to play with. Also swapping tailshaft housings is no big deal. 10" for the Fords and 11" for the Towncar (I measured mine)

If all this is correct a Ford Crown vic should fit right into a lincoln town car.
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

So I am guessing you backed out of our deal for a tranny for HPP wheel swap
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

longer tailshaft on the Lincoln. You want the longer trans on the Lincoln. The short one will function, but you get less support out of the tailshaft bushing, and the output splines will have less engagement. its not just the housing thats shorter, the shaft inside is also shorter. Its also impractical to change it since it requires a full teardown of the transmission.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        longer tailshaft on the Lincoln. You want the longer trans on the Lincoln. The short one will function, but you get less support out of the tailshaft bushing, and the output splines will have less engagement. its not just the housing thats shorter, the shaft inside is also shorter. Its also impractical to change it since it requires a full teardown of the transmission.

Or an inch or so longer drive shaft
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Towncars already have the long driveshaft. You'd be hard pressed to find something that is the right length without going custom. Seems to me that it would be cheaper and easier to install the proper transmission than to make the wrong part fit. Theres also the option of a spacer at the rear flange, but I have a bit of concern about just how strong the spacer is.

Maybe I worry too much. I *hate* breaking down, and I loathe replacing things more than I have to. It used to be fun, now its just annoying.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I just went through accidentally installing what was probably a lincoln transmission, into a GM.

While the tailshaft is technically 1" longer, as is the output shaft, perhaps due to angles (1" laterally, is >1" at the slight angle of the driveshaft), perhaps due to a bevel on the output shaft that was slightly over 1" longer possibly pushing the driveshaft slip joint out further than 1", perhaps due to whatever the fuck,

it turns out that I needed my GM driveshaft 1.5" shorter to fit properly. I perhaps could have gone to 1-5/8" even.
            It cost me $55 to shorten. It cost me $55 more to reshorten twice, because at first I did just 1" shorter!
            $55 more to rebalance, which, will end up being better than the factory balance. Rebalancing is not strictly necessary if you've got an experienced guy who does a clean weld.

So if you find a clean trans cheap, and its only problem is that it's from a lincoln or 4x4, factoring in the cost to cut down your driveshaft IS a realistic option. It's not that bad.
            Just do 1.5" and save yourself the grief!

Comment

Working...
            X