Dex cool and intake manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dex cool and intake manifold

I was reading that gm cars had the dex cool which caused the manifold gasket to wear away and start leaking. Now would is that what would cause the plastic intake manifold to crack on ford,Lincoln, merc. Vehicles. Or just because it's plastic it's going to crack away?

Shitty design... The revised intake used aluminum crossovers for the water passages.

Comment

death-cool FTL!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

x2 on the crappy design, buddy of mine has one on his 99 stang, even though i told him to replace it, he waited till it broke to replace it, even tried to fix it with jb/weld it equaled a big fail.... eventually replaced it with a typhoon intake
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
          x2 on the crappy design, buddy of mine has one on his 99 stang, even though i told him to replace it, he waited till it broke to replace it, even tried to fix it with jb/weld it equaled a big fail.... eventually replaced it with a typhoon intake
          At what mileage did his crap out. Also how can I tell if mine was previous replaced. I know I can ask the guy I brought it from but besides that. The intake manifold, what if mine is metal on the outside does that mean the plastic one was replaced. Or is the stock one metal on the outside as well?

Comment

the front of the intake will be aluminum and not plastic?

Comment

K I'll look at it tmrw thanks. U mean the front where the intake and the intake gasket meets right?

Comment

the front of the intake. where the thermostat housing is. the whole front should be aluminum.

Comment

K. Thanks again. I'll report back tmrw.

Comment

Dex Cool= FAIL!

Comment

The other thing Deathcool does is chunk up and clog the cooling system as it breaks down. The gasket failure those have is the anti-corrosive properties of the coolant failing, and the gasket rots away from electrolysis. People don't believe me when I tell them my GM with the 4.3 has original intake gaskets at 160k, but I got rid of the Deathcool years ago. I suspect thats probably why I haven't had trouble with the gaskets.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Dont ever use Dexcool in anything
                        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

As long as it looks like this:

Then you are ok. I'm pointing to the aluminum crossover piece. If it's all black and plastic, then you do not have the aluminum crossover.
                          If you don't understand, take a pic and we can tell you if it is or not.
                          Good luck, and I hope you have the aluminum one!

-ryan s.
                          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                          Originally posted by pantera77
                          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            The other thing Deathcool does is chunk up and clog the cooling system as it breaks down. The gasket failure those have is the anti-corrosive properties of the coolant failing, and the gasket rots away from electrolysis. People don't believe me when I tell them my GM with the 4.3 has original intake gaskets at 160k, but I got rid of the Deathcool years ago. I suspect thats probably why I haven't had trouble with the gaskets.
                            Yea I had a 01 impala about a year ago and the gasket went and of course it had the dex cool in it. Messed up the bearing's to. But yea on my 97 mark. I have the green in but I'm going to check to see if mine has the plastic intake or alum. My luck it's the plastic one. I looked yesterday in the dark with a flash. And it was all black so I'm gonna post a pic and re look in the light.

Comment

Of course plastic. I'll replace within the month I looked at it today it doesn't look bad at all no holes or leaks. But I still want to get it out of their just to be safe.

Comment

Working...
                              X