Instrument panel light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument panel light

I have a 97 marquis and the instrument panel(speedometer gage,temp gage,ect.) Its not lit at all. Pretty sure the bulb/bulbs blew. My question is how many light bulbs would I need to buy more then 2?
    Last edited by Mlee19841; 02-26-2012, 12:41 AM.

yes. a whole bunch.
    I'd be willing to bet your issue lies in the headlamp switch.

Comment

Slightly off topic but can you get to the bulbs behind the IP on an 1987 GM or do you have to pull the panel to change bulbs?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

You have to pull the speedo out to get at the bulbs but its not too bad. I'd think an aero or whale cluster would have at least 8 bulbs.
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            yes. a whole bunch.
            I'd be willing to bet your issue lies in the headlamp switch.
            Hopefully it's just the bulb that damn switch is like 170

Comment

try adjusting the knobs on the headlight switch (the one that turns the overhead light on) just in case it's turned all the way down (would make the lights all super dim).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                try adjusting the knobs on the headlight switch (the one that turns the overhead light on) just in case it's turned all the way down (would make the lights all super dim).
                The left corner is lit the middle is out and the right is really dim.That's why I'm thinking it's just the bulbs.but I'll take on that tmrw taking out the cluster and checking the bulbs.
                Last edited by Mlee19841; 02-26-2012, 06:39 PM.

Comment

in that case... yeah... probably the bulbs.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

So, I dug into my parts bin for some answers. And I got them.
                    Standard early Aero (and some boxes) have the horizontal speedometer.
                    Like:

On the backside, look like this :

Pay no attention to some of the parts that are missing. There's a reason it was in the parts bin.

These units have *8* bulbs for illumination.
                    They are marked ILL

These are the clusters on most 95-04 Panthers, not including the Marauder and digital dashes:
                    Like:

On the backside, they look like this:

These have *6* bulbs for illumination.
                    They are also marked as "ILL"

Both clusters use BULB #194.

Yea!!!!!

-ryan s.
                    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                    Originally posted by pantera77
                    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Yea I have the circular speedometer not the long one. Damn that looks like a lot of bulbs I only had to replace 5 so I'll see how it looks when it's night time. Thanks for the photo.

Comment

most of those bulbs are the indicators and warning lights.

Comment

Smh. I totally forgot about the check engine lite and all them. Losing my mind slowly. Lol Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X