Prepping a used AOD for installation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prepping a used AOD for installation?

I picked up a used transmission this past weekend. 103k miles, guy said it ran just fine when he pulled it for a 5 speed swap in a very clean 85 Conti. Fluid pretty clean but not new. All indications of goodness imo. Gave it to me, said he was tired of it in the way. Good folks'll help restore faith in humanity, till some ass screws it up. Nice while it lasts anyway

Soooo.... What should I do to it? What I do know:

Pull & drain (or drain & pull?) converter.

Change front and rear seals.

Change filter.

Tha's about the limit of my knowledge. Changing the tranny is not a problem for me, but everything else about the mystery thing is. I've never been inside one.

I found this on an unnamed online auction site:

Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqR,!lYE2EJY,Y-bBNs(4wqO9Q~~_1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1298730

Includes: "Metal clad pump and extension housing seals, front pump o'ring and gasket, extension housing gasket, manual lever shaft seal,Throttel valve lever shafts seal, speedometer housing o'ring, filter gasket, neutral safety switch o'ring, filler tube o'ring, pan gasket."

Is this everything? Is it all neccessary, and most important will I have trouble with any of it?

Getting fired up

Oh and anything else I should do on the car with the tranny out? The only thing I've done around there iirc is a new starter and new tranny mount.

Pete
    Last edited by Piece-it pete; 03-05-2012, 10:35 AM.
    Originally posted by gadget73
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

hey ,im back up north for a bit, if you want i can come over and help you do the install, but i hope the tail housing is the same, i suggest you measure it. if you want a seal kit, i plan on goin back down to the shop tomarrow, i can pick you up a good kit, that cork gasket is a no-no we usae one piece seals. call me 716-450-1088
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
      hey ,im back up north for a bit, if you want i can come over and help you do the install, but i hope the tail housing is the same, i suggest you measure it. if you want a seal kit, i plan on goin back down to the shop tomarrow, i can pick you up a good kit, that cork gasket is a no-no we usae one piece seals. call me 716-450-1088
      Lincoln transmissions use the Lincoln (longer) extension housing.

Pete, you will need to swap the shift lever on the side of the trans and possibly your tv lever as well.
      I also second no cork gaskets on trans!
      While it's out, replace the rear main seal!

Comment

Consider changing the bushing in the tailshaft too. Also prob not a bad idea to replace the O rings on the dipstick tube and the VSS.

and yeah, shift lever needs changing. Not that big of a deal, but you have to be careful to get the parts back in there properly or it won't shift. Basically you want to drain the trans, roll it over, and remove the pan. Remove the TV lever by undoing it's nut on the outside of the trans. On the pan rail is a roll pin near the shift selector lever. Pull that out. You should be able to move things around a little so you can remove the big nut on the inside that holds the thing that looks like a steel chicken head to the shift lever. Remove the nut, and the shift shaft slides out. Swap yours in, and re-assemble. There is a tang on the chicken head looking device that engages a piston on the valve body. It must be in there properly or the trans won't go into gear, or maybe it won't come out of whatever gear it ends up stuck in. The parking pawl linkage also ties into the chickenhead, though I disrecall exactly how. I think its a Z shaped end on the rod and it hooks in place. Once thats in, put the TV lever back on, being sure its working properly. My memory is also fuzzy on this, but it seems to me that the inside shaft can become knocked out of position, and not allow the TV lever to work properly. its reasonably obvious if the trans is open whenther that is moving correctly, but make sure you check it before putting the pan back on.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

^^i had an issue with changing over the shifter posission. this was on GMGT, with the stang AOD. the car would be in forward, no matter where the gear selector was lol.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I had to do that when put Jonny's AOD in the 91. Just get a reeeeeal good look at the mechanism with the pan off, move it around and get a good look at how it works before you take anything apart. I remember needing a silly big open end wrench for that nut on the end of the selector shaft, in the 1" range maybe. You have to hold the lever with something while you turn it, and keep the wrench under control so you don't follow through and wreck the mechanisms around it
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

i think ill be helping with the install, so this will painless as possiable. i had to switch the shifter thingy on mine too, changed it out right while the new trans was in the car.piece o cake

Comment

Thanks everyone, it's now a nightmare of non shifting proportions

I'll have to read this carefully once I get in there to understand I'm thinking. Zoomie was kind enough to offer a pro seal kit, and the Wix filter kit comes with the rubber or neoprene tranny pan gasket iirc. If I come across any cork gaskets I will burn them and bury the ashes lol. Erin, does the kit contain the same parts as the pic above?

In order to change the rear tailshaft bushing, I have to remove the tailshaft housing I assume?

Is the 'Torque Converter Seal' the same thing as the front seal?

Seems I remember that one is supposed to use new flexplate screws. Does anybody?

I considered the rear engine seal. Is it hard? Do I have to drop the pan? And I see many different shaft diameters on Rock, which one? Ignore them and buy FEL-PRO Part # BS40620?

Maybe I should do the motor mounts with the tranny out, or does it really matter?

Thanks guys, this is such a big help and learning experience.

Pete
                For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375

Comment

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
                  Thanks everyone, it's now a nightmare of non shifting proportions I'll have to read this carefully once I get in there to understand I'm thinking. Zoomie was kind enough to offer a pro seal kit, and the Wix filter kit comes with the rubber or neoprene tranny pan gasket iirc. If I come across any cork gaskets I will burn them and bury the ashes lol. Erin, does the kit contain the same parts as the pic above?In order to change the rear tailshaft bushing, I have to remove the tailshaft housing I assume?Is the 'Torque Converter Seal' the same thing as the front seal?Seems I remember that one is supposed to use new flexplate screws. Does anybody?I considered the rear engine seal. Is it hard? Do I have to drop the pan? And I see many different shaft diameters on Rock, which one? Ignore them and buy FEL-PRO Part # BS40620?Maybe I should do the motor mounts with the tranny out, or does it really matter?Thanks guys, this is such a big help and learning experience.Pete
                  Rear main is a good idea since the trans will be out. Be sure to flush the cooler & lines. How do you intend to flush the 'vertor. A Mustang 'vertor works well if you can get one cheap. The shift lever is not hard, just pay attention. Will the linc tailshaft fit? My MK VII trans was too long for the wagon

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

The bushing will come out without removing the tailshaft, though I'm not certain of the process. I know Scott did mine, but I wasn't there when it was done.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks.

Mity yeah it'll fit, it's going in another Lincoln The torque 'vert should have a drain plug...

According to my research the 'later models' of the 302 have an easy to change 1 piece rear engine seal, no pan drop, although noone seemed to know the switchover date, 70s?

Gadget I found some info, apparently the tailshaft bushings are pretty straightforward, pull the housing and it's obvious? I'll find out

The front pump o-ring and gasket seems a bit more involved. Do I need to do this?

The flexplate screws are cheap and shipping from same location as parts in cart, so I'll get them. Why the heck not.

Although this free transmission is starting to cost! Gasket kit, other bushings etc, mercon v - ouch.

I found a tranny drain bolt setup on eBay for $5.99 delivered, from Jegs, free hat too. Any reason I should put it one place over the other? Bottom OK right?

This is what I've got so far, plus the kit, fluid, and drain plug:

Transmission-Automatic : Extension Housing Bushing
                      ATP Part # FB12 {#8M7041A, B3TZ7A034A, B3TZ7A034B, C4AP7A034A, E3TZ7A034B}
                      Trans. code AOT B
                      $5.13 $5.13

Transmission-Automatic : Bushings
                      ATP Part # LB1 {#E0AZ7025A}
                      Trans. code AOT; Rear Case C
                      $1.08 $1.08

Transmission-Automatic : Shift Linkage Bushing
                      ATP Part # LO28 {#E0AZ7F330A} Throttle Valve Rod
                      Trans. code AOT; Throttle Valve Rod D
                      $0.88 $0.88

Transmission-Automatic : Flexplate Mounting Bolt
                      ATP Part # ZX101 {#D2AZ6379B} Flywheel Bolt-AT
                      7/16 -20x.6875 inches
                      + Sold in packs of 6; Price reflects cost of each individual item, not the pack D
                      $0.83 $4.98

Engine : Crankshaft Seal
                      FEL-PRO Part # BS40620 Rear Main Seal Set
                      Type: Rear Main Seal Set; Rubber; One-piece; Improved design; Rear D
                      $8.88 $8.88

Transmission-Automatic : Filter
                      WIX Part # 58939 {#FT1056} Transmission Filter B
                      $6.34 $6.34

Transmission-Automatic : Torque Converter Seal
                      TIMKEN Part # 331107N
                      Trans. code AOT; 4 speed trans. A
                      $3.44 $3.44

.-.-.-.

I'm probably going to start draining it tonight. I'll pull the converter, pull the tail seal, and upend it in a bucket. Any reason not to do it this way?

ONE LAST question. (sure!) I also need some exhaust clamps. I can get 2" wide walker 2-1/4" dia stainless band clamps from Rock for about $9.50 ea del'd. Any cheaper place?

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
                        Thanks.

Mity yeah it'll fit, it's going in another Lincoln The torque 'vert should have a drain plug...

According to my research the 'later models' of the 302 have an easy to change 1 piece rear engine seal, no pan drop, although noone seemed to know the switchover date, 70s?

Gadget I found some info, apparently the tailshaft bushings are pretty straightforward, pull the housing and it's obvious? I'll find out

The front pump o-ring and gasket seems a bit more involved. Do I need to do this?

The flexplate screws are cheap and shipping from same location as parts in cart, so I'll get them. Why the heck not.

Although this free transmission is starting to cost! Gasket kit, other bushings etc, mercon v - ouch.

I found a tranny drain bolt setup on eBay for $5.99 delivered, from Jegs, free hat too. Any reason I should put it one place over the other? Bottom OK right?

This is what I've got so far, plus the kit, fluid, and drain plug:

Transmission-Automatic : Extension Housing Bushing
                        ATP Part # FB12 {#8M7041A, B3TZ7A034A, B3TZ7A034B, C4AP7A034A, E3TZ7A034B}
                        Trans. code AOT B
                        $5.13 $5.13

Transmission-Automatic : Bushings
                        ATP Part # LB1 {#E0AZ7025A}
                        Trans. code AOT; Rear Case C
                        $1.08 $1.08

Transmission-Automatic : Shift Linkage Bushing
                        ATP Part # LO28 {#E0AZ7F330A} Throttle Valve Rod
                        Trans. code AOT; Throttle Valve Rod D
                        $0.88 $0.88

Transmission-Automatic : Flexplate Mounting Bolt
                        ATP Part # ZX101 {#D2AZ6379B} Flywheel Bolt-AT
                        7/16 -20x.6875 inches
                        + Sold in packs of 6; Price reflects cost of each individual item, not the pack D
                        $0.83 $4.98

Engine : Crankshaft Seal
                        FEL-PRO Part # BS40620 Rear Main Seal Set
                        Type: Rear Main Seal Set; Rubber; One-piece; Improved design; Rear D
                        $8.88 $8.88

Transmission-Automatic : Filter
                        WIX Part # 58939 {#FT1056} Transmission Filter B
                        $6.34 $6.34

Transmission-Automatic : Torque Converter Seal
                        TIMKEN Part # 331107N
                        Trans. code AOT; 4 speed trans. A
                        $3.44 $3.44

.-.-.-.

I'm probably going to start draining it tonight. I'll pull the converter, pull the tail seal, and upend it in a bucket. Any reason not to do it this way?

ONE LAST question. (sure!) I also need some exhaust clamps. I can get 2" wide walker 2-1/4" dia stainless band clamps from Rock for about $9.50 ea del'd. Any cheaper place?

Pete
                        eek cork pan gasket. i would toss the pan gasket that comes with and get a moroso aod pan gasket it's like the blue felpro permadry gaskets has the reinforced steel i have one on my lincoln and am pleased with it for $30.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-93106

it's worth the $30. it's also reusable.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                        -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

all you need for the tailshaft seal is a big screwdriver, it pops right out, i just did mine a while ago. also shouldnt be any need to pull the tailshaft housing.

Comment

I swear I'm going to use a cork gasket

Erin I'm going to change the output shaft bushing as rec'd.

Last update till I actually do something, re: band clamps for the exhaust, Jegs has'em on ebay for $7.99 ea del'd. And another free hat

Pete

Comment

Matt due to your warning I was careful with the tailshaft housing bolts and only broke 2

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X