Driver's door lock actuator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driver's door lock actuator

GRRRR! Noticed a funny noise when I shut my door the other day, sounded like something loose inside the door. With the door open, I shook it hard, and can hear something heavy clunking around inside, and I noticed my lock "stick" is sitting at a funny angle, and the lock doesn't operate correctly with the power switch any more. I'm not afraid to get into the door, just wanted to see if anyone else has had to deal with a similar issue, and what was the fix?

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
    Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Never mind... Fixed it. Got inside the door and found my power lock actuator hanging there loose. When Ford built these cars, they put the power lock actuators in a little metal bracket. The little metal bracket has a threaded rivet through it, and then you have a nylon lock nut that mounts the bracket to the inside of the door. My problem was with that little rivet. It would seem that it snapped off where it comes through the door. I took the actuator out, removed the bracket from the actuator, and used a hammer and screwdriver to punch the remnants of the rivet out of the bracket. Once that was done, I simply located a suitable replacement nut, bolt, and lock washer, and reinstalled the bracket, actuator, and everything else. Sorry, no pics, did this on my lunch hour at work.

Comment

is the condom still in one piece on the door lock actuator?

Comment

Yeah, still intact.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggy View Post
          Yeah, still intact.
          very lucky

Comment

Originally posted by 86vickylx View Post
            very lucky
            x2

Comment

Working...
            X