Digital Dash Gauge Swap Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital Dash Gauge Swap Question

On late aero's ('96, '97) can you put a '96 P71 analog dash gauge set in place of an '97 LX digital guage?

If so, how hard is it? Are there any mods you have do to make it work?

Thanks.

" Digital Instrument Cluster: Optional equipment but only avaliable as an option if the car is factory equipped with EATC. The digital dash electrical connectors are a physically different shape and have a different pin layout than the analog dash ones do. The digital dash also has a little bit more information flowing to it than the analog instrument cluster does. Like the EATC swap, one could change the entire 14401 wiring assembly to one optioned with the digital dash or one could modify their current harness by cutting the analog cluster connectors off and splicing in the digital dash ones and running a few new wires. One problem to consider before starting this swap is how to get the mileage on the digital dash to match what was displayed on your analog speedometer assembly. If you do attempt this swap, you'll also need the trim peice for the dash the fits around the instrument cluster. "

Here's a ton of info about the options and feasibility of adding them to your car(s) http://web.archive.org/web/201104191...onalequipment/ The page is long gone, but gods bless the Internet Archive!

It continues: "A few points to consider before attempting digital instumentation swap:

Some people have expressed concerns about not being able to read their vehicle's speed when the sun shines on their digital instrument cluster at a certain angle
    Reliability appears to be lower with digital instrumentation than with its analog counterpart. Digital dash setups usually give at least 5 years of trouble free service. But once one starts approaching 10 or 15 years old, it's common for digital instrumentation to start malfunctioning.
    Auto manufacturers often discontinue selling service parts for digital instrument clusters and it's support components before they do for their more common analog counterparts
    The digital instrument cluster does add new functionality to the car over the conventional analog cluster. Specifically the digital cluster displays warnings about low windshield washer fluid and the trunklid being ajar. It also computes the vehicle's average fuel economy and average speed, as well as determining the distance the vehicle can travel with the amount of fuel left in the tank. Additionally, the cluster has two trip odometers instead of the one found on the analog instrument cluster and there is a light illuminated whenever cruise control is engaged. "
    Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 03-17-2012, 01:36 PM.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
      " Digital Instrument Cluster: Optional equipment but only avaliable as an option if the car is factory equipped with EATC. The digital dash electrical connectors are a physically different shape and have a different pin layout than the analog dash ones do. The digital dash also has a little bit more information flowing to it than the analog instrument cluster does. Like the EATC swap, one could change the entire 14401 wiring assembly to one optioned with the digital dash or one could modify their current harness by cutting the analog cluster connectors off and splicing in the digital dash ones and running a few new wires. One problem to consider before starting this swap is how to get the mileage on the digital dash to match what was displayed on your analog speedometer assembly. If you do attempt this swap, you'll also need the trim peice for the dash the fits around the instrument cluster. "

Here's a ton of info about the options and feasibility of adding them to your car(s) http://web.archive.org/web/201104191...onalequipment/ The page is long gone, but gods bless the Internet Archive!

It continues: "A few points to consider before attempting digital instumentation swap:

Some people have expressed concerns about not being able to read their vehicle's speed when the sun shines on their digital instrument cluster at a certain angle
      Reliability appears to be lower with digital instrumentation than with its analog counterpart. Digital dash setups usually give at least 5 years of trouble free service. But once one starts approaching 10 or 15 years old, it's common for digital instrumentation to start malfunctioning.
      Auto manufacturers often discontinue selling service parts for digital instrument clusters and it's support components before they do for their more common analog counterparts
      The digital instrument cluster does add new functionality to the car over the conventional analog cluster. Specifically the digital cluster displays warnings about low windshield washer fluid and the trunklid being ajar. It also computes the vehicle's average fuel economy and average speed, as well as determining the distance the vehicle can travel with the amount of fuel left in the tank. Additionally, the cluster has two trip odometers instead of the one found on the analog instrument cluster and there is a light illuminated whenever cruise control is engaged. "
      Thanks for the info. I might be wrong, but that info looks to be geared more toward putting a digital dash in a car that was originally equipped w/ analog. I want to do the opposite -- put an analog dash into a car that originally had the digital dash. The reason is mainly because of the problem cited -- after a time, the digital dashes seem to develop problems, although mine seems to be working OK so far. Also, I just like the analog better for some reason.

As far as info displays, the digital dash has only speed and engine coolant temperature, but doesn't appear to have any capability to display amp/volt or oil pressure. I don't know if those sensors are present on the car or what I need, if anything to make them work if I put an analog dash in. I just figured I would try to get an understanding of what was do-able and what was involved before I started.

Comment

I guees the question is: Does the display currently work? If so it may not be worth the effort to convert. Or is this a "hypo" question??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
          I guees the question is: Does the display currently work? If so it may not be worth the effort to convert. Or is this a "hypo" question??
          Yes, the digital dash works fine. But, I'd really rather have an analog. If it was a simple matter to swap it out, then I would look for a nice analog dash and try to do it. However, it seems from what you've said that it's not a simple matter to swap them. So, maybe I'll just leave the digital dash in the car and hope it doesn't start giving me problems.

Comment

Originally posted by TomO View Post
            Yes, the digital dash works fine. But, I'd really rather have an analog. If it was a simple matter to swap it out, then I would look for a nice analog dash and try to do it. However, it seems from what you've said that it's not a simple matter to swap them. So, maybe I'll just leave the digital dash in the car and hope it doesn't start giving me problems.
            Sounds like a plan!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

So, I take it that when guys put P71 instrument clusters in standard models, they put them in models that came with analog gauge clusters?

Comment

Not sure but why change it if it is working? Just don't like a digital look? That's a reason but if you are afraid it MAY break someday, try to find an exact spare and not worry about it.

Comment

As far as I know, the P71 analog cluster should be a direct plug in replacement for the civilian analog cluster.

Swapping from digital to analog or from analog to digital is another matter!!!

I've got a friend with an 02 digital cluster car thats just waiting for the day that thing dies on him. It's
                  already "blinked" a couple of times.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                    Not sure but why change it if it is working? Just don't like a digital look? That's a reason but if you are afraid it MAY break someday, try to find an exact spare and not worry about it.
                    The reasons I'd like to change it are: 1) I like the analog gauges better than digital; and 2) I've heard that the digital often will start to malfunction after they get "old" and this one is already 15 years old; and 3) I figure that while there are still some inexpensive analog clusters around, I would do the swap before they start getting really scarce; and 4) I've seen plenty of used analog clusters available but I have not seen any digital clusters available locally, which leads me to believe that the digital clusters for that model are already fairly scarce.

So, I was wondering whether the conversion from digital to analog was a simple matter of just plugging in the analog cluster in place of the digital cluster, or whether there was some sort of extra parts that might make the conversion possible, or whether the conversion was a big can of worms.

From what I'm hearing, the conversion is a big can of worms. So, as you say, it still works, so I guess it looks like I'll take your suggestion and just not worry about it and keep my eyes open for a spare digital cluster at a good price -- just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
                      As far as I know, the P71 analog cluster should be a direct plug in replacement for the civilian analog cluster.

Swapping from digital to analog or from analog to digital is another matter!!!

I've got a friend with an 02 digital cluster car thats just waiting for the day that thing dies on him. It's
                      already "blinked" a couple of times.
                      Hey, thanks Pete. Yikes, I hope mine doesn't start blinking. Mine's 5 years old than your friend's.

Comment

Sorry I didn't understand you wanted to go from digital to analog. Working backwards from those instructions, I'm assuming you would have to buy the cluster, and bezel/insert/trim AND make sure you get the "14401" wiring assembly from the donor car. Basically the info-wires that plug into the back of the dash all the way to wherever they plug into the car's computer. Sounds like it'd be plug 'n' play actually if you don't fuck your hands up trying to route the wires through the dash.

My '99 has 242,000 and the digital dash is still going strong. It was a fleet car for Kenan Advantage (nationwide refinery hauling biz my bro works for, they deliver gas, haul sulphur & other refinery byproducts like tar, etc). It came with brand new tires, and needed an upper ball joint and a few other thngs when I bought it off my brother. Next thing it's getting is a Steering Column put in Tuesday as one of the knuckles wore out, but I'm too lazy to do it.
                        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
                          Sorry I didn't understand you wanted to go from digital to analog. Working backwards from those instructions, I'm assuming you would have to buy the cluster, and bezel/insert/trim AND make sure you get the "14401" wiring assembly from the donor car. Basically the info-wires that plug into the back of the dash all the way to wherever they plug into the car's computer. Sounds like it'd be plug 'n' play actually if you don't fuck your hands up trying to route the wires through the dash.

My '99 has 242,000 and the digital dash is still going strong. It was a fleet car for Kenan Advantage (nationwide refinery hauling biz my bro works for, they deliver gas, haul sulphur & other refinery byproducts like tar, etc). It came with brand new tires, and needed an upper ball joint and a few other thngs when I bought it off my brother. Next thing it's getting is a Steering Column put in Tuesday as one of the knuckles wore out, but I'm too lazy to do it.
                          Hey! All that info is good to know. Maybe I will look into the swap after all, or maybe I'll end up having good luck with the digital cluster like you've had. Thanks very much for the help!

Comment

Working...
                          X