Poor MPG's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor MPG's

In a stock 1995 Mercury Grand Marquis the latest MPG (according to the digital dash) was 11.6. All City driving with A/C but this still seems low. Some of the previous repairs include: new plugs, wires, fuel, air filters, TPS, EGR ports cleaned, DPFS, air temp sensor, Seafoam treatment and tires at proper pressure (according to factory specs). Even checked the wheels for excessive heat due to dragging. Any thoughts as to the cause????? By the way, I think the sticker has a U55 code so that should tell us the real end ratio.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

also... try running plus grade gas. The 4.6L seems to HATE regular gas now that it has ethanol in it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'd go with the tires at near the maximum pressure noted on the sidewall of the tires currently on the car. The factory specs account for the tires that the car came with. Newer tires could require higher pressure, and if that's the case, then running with the factory spec is running underinflated.
      1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
      Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
      Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
      Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

Will try BOTH suggestion but the tire pressure first as it is cheaper!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

ever cleaned the MAF? Dirty MAF and/or cracks in the air tube can cause problems. Faulty O2 sensors will also do this. I've never had a bad O2 set a code either, though OBD2 diagnostics may indicate slow response times or something that would point to a bad sensor.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Did the MAF and already replaced all 4 O2 sensors. Figured the car has approx 187K so they could have been originals. As for the earlier suggestions, although they have merit, not sure raising the front tires from 32 to 35 or putting in a higher octane gas is going to get me from 11/12 mpg to 15.

Comment

The digital readout on the dash is just an estimation. The only way you can be sure is to fill up at the same station, same pump, and pump it in on the same speed lock each time. Then if you "squeeze" any more in, do the same each time. That device is like a fuel gauge, it tells you when you are getting close. The only way for sure you know you are emptyh is when it dies. Good luck from hillbillies inc.
              PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT MUCH USE, BUT I STILL SMILE WHEN I SEE ONE TUMBLE DOWN THE STAIRS

Comment

What's up, Tom! Should the digital gauge be THAT far off???

Comment

Too much junk in the trunk?
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

A few "spare parts" but nothing heavier than the spare. That much of a difference, though. Saw similar low numbers even with an empty trunk.

Comment

Check all the vacuum hose connections particularly the Tee junctions in some of them. They are famous for cracking. Another issue could be the thermostat. If its stuck open it can cause poor economy it will think the engine is cold and add extra fuel.
                      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                        Check all the vacuum hose connections particularly the Tee junctions in some of them. They are famous for cracking. Another issue could be the thermostat. If its stuck open it can cause poor economy it will think the engine is cold and add extra fuel.
                        Thermostat is fairly new, OEM and this issue existed before the replacements. Good idea, though. Now the vacuum hoses are a good call and will need to be checked. Still fielding ideas......

Comment

Seized calipers?
                          Bad pulleys?
                          I just had these problems on my car and they brought my mileage down.

-ryan s.
                          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                          Originally posted by pantera77
                          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Got a slight "chirp" which may be the belt tensioner and basically goes away after warm up. No excessive heat, from the wheels, but a partially hung caliper may not be noticeable.

Comment

I didnt know my idler was hanging up until I took my belt off for my A/C delete on. I hand spun all the pullies and the idler was sticking. So it was replaced and the engine felt better.

-ryan s.
                              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                              Originally posted by pantera77
                              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                              X