Aww shit, here we go again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aww shit, here we go again

So the 289 is gone, and this is the 5.0 that hopefully replaces it. It's a 5.0 HO short block from a '91 Mustang that supposedly broke a piston skirt. The guy I bought it from bought it as a motor to build, that supposedly ran good at 150k prior to busting said piston skirt. He gave me 2 pistons and rods with it, 1 of which was in great shape. . . so I threw a couple rings in it from the Explorer 5.0 which checked good on ring gap and the rest shall be documented here. I finally got off my ass and drilled out the busted bolts in the GT40Ps, installed the new valve seals, and swapped in the new FRPP valve springs (new takeoffs from GT40X heads) with retainers and on the exhaust side, .050"+ keepers which made the intake and exhaust valve springs installed at damn near the same height. I also installed a new timing chain and gears and advanced the cam 4 degrees. The 7 quart pan goes back in, but this time with a standard volume oil pump. I have a new counterweight for my spec flywheel and my friend donated a new harmonic balancer to the cause. AC will be my next project. I will also install the variable assist PS pump valve from the 90 LTC this time around and the steering box has been tightened. For some reason my recently retarded smart phone won't send the pic to my hotmail acct. Fuckin technology. I'm waiting on tomorrow for an oil pump gasket, longer header bolts, and oil to prime the system with. Then I can install the lower intake manifold, injectors, rails, harness, clutch, bellhousing, and drop it in. I hope to drop the motor in tomorrow or Monday.
    1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

coolness......just follow my vids on a/c install mang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Wait, I thought you were doing an Exploder motor? What happened to that ?
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What happened to the 289??
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

yeah what he said. the 289?
          1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
          1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

Not a roller motor and burned tons of oil. Pretty sure it was valve seals and HV oil pump causing that because when I replaced valve seals last spring it QUIT smoking for like a week, then slowly started again. When I dropped the pan there were bits of oil seal all in it, so I'm pretty sure I was correct on that diagnosis. I had the PCV hooked up all factory like but left the breather line open on the valve cover because the Explorer TB didn't have the tube in it to run the line. There were spark plug wires pretty much resting against that nipple, and there wasn't a drop of oil on the plug wires, so between that and the good compression readings I took I think I sold a good motor. With a trail of oil smoke, that car ran up here what 86VickyLX runs at sea level. I wasn't digging a roller dizzy against a non-roller camshaft and the wrong firing order and stuff, negligible as it was. The car ran really good on SD, but 1000-1500RPMs sometimes had a stumble of sorts. It was actually more of a hesitation than a stumble, but I figure either firing order or the bigger TB were to blame. Since I can't seem to find my real camera, I'll just have to post the pic from my phone later on when I get more stuff bolted on. And Scott, I'm totally reading your whole thread again when I do my AC. I also want to stick a pusher in front of the smaller of my 2 fans to kick on with the AC so it's nice and ice cold at a stoplight. Gotta finish all that AND get it painted so I can take a road trip in May, so I'll be cutting it close.
            1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
              With a trail of oil smoke, that car ran up here what 86VickyLX runs at sea level.
              Be sure to double, triple, and quadrouple check the block for damage. Are you planning on running Speed Density or Mass Air with your new new motor.

Comment

Gonna rock SD for now, see how bad it pisses me off. Over on the corral, it seems a lot of guys have great success with the SD computers, so that lead me to believe that the MKVII is a little bitchier than the Mustang computers. I will, however, have it totally wired for an A9L/A9P and be scouring the junkyards for one. I already have a stock aero vic airbox and MAF from a 94 Mustang installed in the intake tract. I will also add wiring to relocate the IAT sensor from the lower intake to the airbox. A good, thorough inspection of the shortblock assembly revealed no damage, so I eventually came to the conclusion that the original damage was not accurately conveyed. Perhaps he blew a ringland and the bore miraculously survived? The skirts and remaining pistons' ring lands were remarkably clean, so that lead me to believe the claim that it ran good prior to WTF ever happened. Since I can't recall my password here, I couldn't log on from my stupid smart phone to post a pic, so just imagine a 5.0 with HO valve covers, a GT40P lower tacked on, BBK 1515 shorties, and a 7 quart oil pan. I should have it dropped in either tomorrow or the next day then I can start rewiring and re-fuel-lining.

Comment

Gonna rock SD for now, see how bad it pisses me off. Over on the corral, it seems a lot of guys have great success with the SD computers, so that lead me to believe that the MKVII is a little bitchier than the Mustang computers. I will, however, have it totally wired for an A9L/A9P and be scouring the junkyards for one. I already have a stock aero vic airbox and MAF from a 94 Mustang installed in the intake tract. I will also add wiring to relocate the IAT sensor from the lower intake to the airbox. A good, thorough inspection of the shortblock assembly revealed no damage, so I eventually came to the conclusion that the original damage was not accurately conveyed. Perhaps he blew a ringland and the bore miraculously survived? The skirts and remaining pistons' ring lands were remarkably clean, so that lead me to believe the claim that it ran good prior to WTF ever happened. Since I can't recall my password here, I couldn't log on from my stupid smart phone to post a pic, so just imagine a 5.0 with HO valve covers, a GT40P lower tacked on, BBK 1515 shorties, and a 7 quart oil pan. I should have it dropped in either tomorrow or the next day then I can start rewiring and re-fuel-lining.
                  still trying to figure out why a 7 qt oil pan though
                  89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Because I have it. You know I kind of skirted the earlier question on why I'm not running the Explorer motor. Pristine as it was, I pressure washed it before I deployed and anticipated to dismantle it before I left, but never did. The water that got in rotted out an entire bank and I would have had to have the thing punched out .030" or more.

Comment

that sucks. tsk tsk, you ought to know better than to do that.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        that sucks. tsk tsk, you ought to know better than to do that.
                        Knowing better and forgetting are 2 different things. I excel at the latter.

Comment

....stupid smart phone....

LMFAO at that line.

Your engine project sounds yummy.

Packman

Comment

Got the motor in last night before shift, gonna get some sleep now and later today plug in the trans, driveshaft, mod/install the h-pipe, radiator, and accessories. Tomorrow I do wiring and install a charcoal can, and the next day is wheel bearing and finish up hopefully.

Comment

sounds like a busy weekend. If you just skipped that sleep nonsense you' be done sooner.

Comment

Working...
                              X