Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

possible stupid question but have to know.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible stupid question but have to know.

Okay I have no idea how to work on a trani or when to know something is wrong so I have a few questions. Maybe someone can shed some light for me! Here's the deal: the trani in my 85 is kinda funny. When I go into any gear from park (reverse, drive, or first. Not neutral) my car jerks like its low on fluid. But its not. I check it weekly almost. Also it slips out of first gear every now and again from a dead stop, but quickly corrects itself and I go about my merry way. Also I was told that the trani in my car only has four gears. But thats not the thing. THing is it will go through first then second, and then when I get up to about twenty mph, it feels like it skips third gear and goes straight into fourth. This is the original transmition in it. I have put stop slip in the fluid and it still does this. Helpful advice please???
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis "Shelley"

-- Donated and gone to auction

sounds like the tv rod bushing or the tv rod pressure is out of adjustment. is your trans fluid a nice clean pinkish red color. the tv rod is connnected from the throttle body to the transmission via a rod. the tv rod or cable determines the pressure for up shifts and down shifts in the transmission.
    1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
    1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

if the idle is kinda high somethimes it can jerk into gear. is it a jerk or a kluck. like metal hit metal. if so im thinking the u joints in the drive shaft or maybe theres a broken trans mount or motor mount.
      1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
      1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

yeah it idles high the first couple start ups of the day. the fluid is a nice vivid red color and doesnt have any metal shavings on the dipstick (havent gotten around to checking the pan and filter yet). The sound is a klunk and it jerks when going into drive or reverse. I can honestly say idk what a tv rod or the other things you mentioned or where they are. But is this something that i need to take it to a shop and have fixed soon or can i get by a little bit longer until i can get the money for it?

Comment

oh and where would the trani mounts be? there isnt a broken engine mount i know that much. the engine doesnt move at all when its pushed on. the whole front end bounces when you push on the motor.

Comment

you should take it to a trans shop so you dont burn the tranny up and have it checked out. your trans is called a aod transmission and they are prone to failure if the tv pressure is out of adjustment. the trans mount it located on top of the transmission crossmember that runs from the passenger to driverside of the frame and keeps the trans in place. you can see it while looking at the transmission pan from under the car. it sounds like the clunk you here is a bad u joint. how many miles are on the car.

Comment

sounds like the filter gasket is missing on the transmission filter.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

it has just under 150,000 miles all original.

Comment

As a 1985 owner I have insight into at least part of your problem.

The transmission tv pressure shouldn't be out of adjustment unless someone has monkeyed with it.

What does happen is the tv rod that goes from the throttle body down to the transmission can get sticky and not smoothly return... and you get late and hard 3rd gear shift. Check the action of this rod first because it's the easiest thing to check...

*NOT my car. A picture I found on the internet.*

The TV rod is the top one with the cotter pin. The car in the picture is also missing its TV rod bushing! Make sure your car has one... it would be bridging the gap between the rod and the stud behind the cotter pin. You either have a brass one with a cotter pin or a rubber one without a pin.

Ok, to check the TV rod action pull the rod away from the throttle plate and observe that it returns quickly and completely. The threaded screw will come back and rest against the throttle plate. If not then hit the linkage with carbuerator cleaner or what have you and a little wd40 and try again until it smoothly returns. Don't adjust the TV screw unless you know what your doing because a little turn changes everything.

Also +1 on the filter gasket. You might want to have the transmission serviced and have a new filter and gasket installed.

Comment

wow that actually really helped because im REALLY tight on money and prefer to learn to do maintence work myself if i can. the pic really helped! thank you! i will get under there soon as i can find a strong enough jack to check it myself and see whats going on. the filter and gasket i can do myself. i changed one out on an f-150 and helped to do alot of work on it before it came to the end of its life. just never messed with the trani, lol! ive got carb/choke cleaner so im already half way there. again thank you for that! i would have pretty much been fumbling in the dark if it wasnt for the

Comment

Thank you ford man

My 85 CV has been slipping and shifting wierd from 3rd to 2nd and I've been looking around and kept reading about the TV cable but those were all on EFI engines.

I wasnt sure where or what to look for on my CFI and you pointed it out to me. Thanks alot

By the way I love your dual snorkel
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Working...
                      X