driver window motor 93 mgm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

driver window motor 93 mgm

Think maybe I've been posting in the wrong forum on this.The other day, I rolled my driver window down and it wouldn't go back up. Finally got the motor out and it looked great, just like new. Motor wouldn't turn or even click when I tried it. Went to Autozone and bought a new one. Plugged it in and tried it. Not even a click. Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Don.
    1993 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L AODE[SIGPIC]sigpic

Check fuses. I learned the hard way once.
    Most motors have the nylon bushings on the inside break apart. They cost about $8 each to fix.
    That is, when thats the problem.
    I'd start with the fuses and possibly check the connection of the big master switch in the door.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Heeeeelp! Still messing with this driver window that doesn't want to work. Ruled out the motor. Took it apart and everything is intact. Looks like new. Took the switch apart and put it back together, after cleaning the contact points. They were pretty dirty. Again, everything works but the driver window. Picked up a switch from the junkyard. it didn't look to be in real good shape cosmetically. Everything worked with it, except the drivers window. Took it apart and cleaned the contact points of the drivers window, very dirty. Still doesn't work. Earlier in the week, I found a Dorman replacement switch on Amazon for $27, I ordered it. Awhile ago, perfect timing , it arrived while I was messing with the switches. I felt kinda relieved, thinking my troubles were over. NOT! Plugged it in and got the same old. Everything works except the drivers window. Don't believe it's the fuse. Checked the other day,and the other things that are on that fuse work. One clue, and I don't know really what to think of it. When I had the motor apart, and put back together, and mounted back in place. I turned the key on and hit the switch. It made contact and moved the window down about 1/4 inch. that was the last sign of life that was detected. Not even a click after that. This would indicate a bad connection, I think, but the connector on the harness seems plugged in securely. I've held the switch on and fingered and moved the wires of the harness around and just nothing. Any ideas on what I should do? Please be as specific as possible, cause I don't know much and I ain't real bright with this stuff. Thanks.

Don.

Comment

Well, far as I can tell, there is no power getting to the plug where the power window plugs in, and no power getting to the switch that controls the drivers side power window. Tracing down those wires seems like a horrible bad task. Any way of getting out of it, or maybe some kinda quick, super duper way of getting it done?
        Thanks,
        Don.

Comment

Any power getting to the Master Control Panel on the Driver's door?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Have you verified that the motor is actually good? If you've tried multiple switches, I'm thinking the issue is either in the wire harness somewhere, or the motor is just flat dead. Here's a quick test... You can jump the window motor with a jump box or jumper cables and a couple of paperclips. If you partially unwind the paperclips and put them in the jaws of your jump box or cables, they'll carry the current all the way out to the ends of the clips. You can then very carefully insert the clips into the motor side of the plug and make contact with the prongs. If the motor is good, you'll be able to manually run the motor up and down to put the glass in the proper position. To change direction of the motor, switch the polarity of the cables to the prongs in the plug. Sounds to me like your motor is bad or you have a bad wire somewhere.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
            Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

Hey , thanks guys. Tried a similar method to the paper clips, though not as stable. There was juice getting to the motor that way. And all the other windows and locks work, so it would seem that there is power to the master control panel. I'm thinking a bad wire, and dread trying to trace it. In the meantime, while messing with the windows, the passenger side front went down and didn't want to go back up. It was just clicking away. Well, when trying to assist it back up, Friday the 13th asserted itself. The window shattered. Nobody to fix it this late in the day. It'll have to wait till next week. Think I better hang up my spurs before I do anymore damage. But first, I'm gonna find me some paper clips. Hope I don't electrocute myself or catch anything on fire. More later.

Don.

Comment

Originally posted by Donal View Post
                Hey , thanks guys. Tried a similar method to the paper clips, though not as stable. There was juice getting to the motor that way. And all the other windows and locks work, so it would seem that there is power to the master control panel. I'm thinking a bad wire, and dread trying to trace it. In the meantime, while messing with the windows, the passenger side front went down and didn't want to go back up. It was just clicking away. Well, when trying to assist it back up, Friday the 13th asserted itself. The window shattered. Nobody to fix it this late in the day. It'll have to wait till next week. Think I better hang up my spurs before I do anymore damage. But first, I'm gonna find me some paper clips. Hope I don't electrocute myself or catch anything on fire. More later.

Don.
                Just don't touch the clips together! Sounds like it might be best to just cover it up, have a cigar and a beer, and call it a night...

Comment

Good news! Used the paper clips and that motor took that window down and back up , as if there was no tomorrow. So now, while I'm in the mood, think I'll take care of the motor in the front passenger side(again). Please do let me know if you have any advice on how to find the bad wire. Thanks a bunch.

Don.

Comment

Well I'm calling it a day. Got about all the glass out of the passenger side front door. Got the regulator gear plugs changed out. All went pretty smooth. I had replaced those not that long ago, but didn't realize at the time that they had a slight taper and should be inserted in the same direction. They'll be by Monday to replace my window. Now I get to work all weekend.
                    Have a great weekend everybody. Thanks for the help.

Don.

Comment

As far as the wire tracing goes, I would start at the furthest known good part of the harness and work backward. In your case, that'll be at the window motor itself. Start with the harness side of the plug and inspect the spade connectors inside the plug. If those look good, note the colors of the wires and start isolating them out of the harness. Work your way slowly through the harness that way. Pay special attention to tje wire bundle at the door jamb where it goes from the soor to the body. This is a flex point and probably the most likely point of failure. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks Ziggy. That's what I'll do, It'll have to wait till next week. Hoping I find The bad place without too much hassle.

Don.

Comment

The guy came out and replaced the front passenger window yesterday. Everything went smooth. Found that the switch on the passenger door will raise the window, but won't lower it. The switch on the drivers side will take it up and down. May or may not try to fix it. Feels good to have windows in place.

Don.

Comment

Well, here I am again, needing help. The other day my driver's side window quit working. When trying to roll up , it made this continuous thumping noise. Made some kinda noise when trying to roll down also. Sounded like something was way loose. Just replaced the regulator bushings a couple months ago. Anyway, bought some more bushings. Took the door panel off, and found the bolts that hold the plate that bolts to the door frame, and also to the regulator/motor, holding it in place, were way loose. I went ahead and replaced the bushings in the regulator. The ones in it did not look bad, but replaced them anyway. Put it all back together, making sure everything was tight, and it doesn't work. When trying to get it to go up, there is the loud thumping noise. When trying to go down, there is just the humming noise of the motor trying to work, but nothing happens. It's pretty warm out and this ain't much fun. Anybody got any ideas/advice? Sure do appreciate any help.

Comment

sounds like the plastic gear that the bushings sit in has lost a tooth or 3.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X