Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Air Suspension Ride Height Adjustable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Air Suspension Ride Height Adjustable?

Is the air suspension ride height on late aero's adjustable? Also, is there a way to determine what the proper ride height is? Thanks.

It is adjustable. If I remember correctly there is a lever just above the center of the rear end where the height is set. Ride height may be specified in the manual. You can set the car so it is lever or just slightly raised in the rear. Just measure down from the front of the pinch weld and from the back of the pinch weld. It will change the alignment. Make sure you like the setting and go for a full alignment afterwards.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

What he said. The height sensor mounts to a bracket on the body and has a lever with a ball end on it. There is what amounts to a tie rod from there to another ball mounted on the driver's side upper control arm. The control arm ball usually has 3 spots it can be set for coarse adjustment, and then the tie rod is threaded for fine adjustment.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

OK -- thanks for the info. Is there some sort of rule of thumb as far as what the height should be? Or do you just eyeball it and set it to where it looks level?

Comment

usually level or very slightly tail-up is where it wants to be. Thats what the factory does at any rate.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This is the aero forum, not the box forum. On my drivers side upper arm on the rear end, there are 2 nuts that hold the sensor on. Loosen them and slide the sensor one way or the other to set your height. IMO, there's no need for a rake with air ride because the ass will never sag with a load in the first place. Sounds like the box air ride setup differs slightly, unless they changed it up again with the whales.
            1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
              This is the aero forum, not the box forum. On my drivers side upper arm on the rear end, there are 2 nuts that hold the sensor on. Loosen them and slide the sensor one way or the other to set your height. IMO, there's no need for a rake with air ride because the ass will never sag with a load in the first place. Sounds like the box air ride setup differs slightly, unless they changed it up again with the whales.
              I'm trying to get a '97 air ride set properly. It seems to be over-inflating because it has a raked look to it and the ride is super stiff and the air pump seems to come on whenever the car is started. That makes me think the ride height is set too high. The car has the HPP and I thought I read somewhere that HPP air suspension is slightly different -- I don't know if it makes any difference in adjusting it or not.

In regard to boxes, I didn't know they had air ride. I've got an '89 that has factory air shocks w/ pump, but the main springs are steel coil.

Comment

Correct, The old ones are air shocks the "new" ones are air springs. Both are adjustable.
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

It is adjustable....to a point. I was a L-M service advisor 95-97 and Handling Package cars had different settings on the air ride than "standard" cars. As an example, we had a customer that ordered his wife a 95 Cartier Town Car with the handling package because he thought her 93 was too "soft". What he didn't know (or sales didn't tell him) was that the 95 TCs got an upgrade to the suspension along with the new interior and thin headlights. She HATED it! Said it never rode like a TC should; it was too harsh and looked like a "hot rod" jacked up in the back. We played with it a bunch, even "shade tree"ing some things and finally got it to where she would tolerate it. I got to drive it quite a few times as they lived near me and I would pick it up and take it to work when it needed service. I thought it was great....drove like a CVPI with all the Lincoln goodies on it!
                  ____________________________Captain Slow____________________________________
                  "One useless man is a disgrace, two become a law firm and three, or more, become a congress"

2006 Grand Marquis LS: Silver Birchwood w/Black interior, Sunroof, "Y"spoke wheels. No performance mods.
                  Convienience "mods": Driver's center armrest from 97 Town Car for storage, FM Modulator on stock sound system, Garmin Nuvi 1350,
                  Cobra Radar/Laser detector, Midland 75-822 CB/WX radio.

Comment

Originally posted by TSgtRet View Post
                    95 Cartier Town Car with the handling package because he thought her 93 was too "soft".
                    My Grandfather had a 98 LTC Touring Sedan. I told him not to buy it because it was firmer than his 93 Cartier. He still loved it, said it "took the curves better"
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by TSgtRet View Post
                      It is adjustable....to a point. I was a L-M service advisor 95-97 and Handling Package cars had different settings on the air ride than "standard" cars. As an example, we had a customer that ordered his wife a 95 Cartier Town Car with the handling package because he thought her 93 was too "soft". What he didn't know (or sales didn't tell him) was that the 95 TCs got an upgrade to the suspension along with the new interior and thin headlights. She HATED it! Said it never rode like a TC should; it was too harsh and looked like a "hot rod" jacked up in the back. We played with it a bunch, even "shade tree"ing some things and finally got it to where she would tolerate it. I got to drive it quite a few times as they lived near me and I would pick it up and take it to work when it needed service. I thought it was great....drove like a CVPI with all the Lincoln goodies on it!
                      Yes, this '97 MGM, HPP has an extremely firm ride. I actually like the firm ride a lot (I hate soft, mushy suspensions). I just have a hunch the rear air bag system isn't set up right. With you having experience as a service manager, do you remember what the procedure is (if there is one) for checking and/or setting the proper ride height on an Aero HPP?

Comment

Working...
                      X