Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any way to polish out a dash gauge cluster lense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any way to polish out a dash gauge cluster lense?

I have an Aero that has a digital dash cluster and the lense (or whatever you call that dark piece of plastic that covers the display) is sort of scuffed a bit from what looks like somebody not being careful when they were trying to clean it. They probably wiped it with a dry piece of paper towel or something like that when it was dusty and it scuffed up the plastic.

Is there any way to polish out the scuff marks and scratches?

Or in the alternative, can you buy new lenses or whatever they're called? If so, where would be a good source for them? I'm guessing that auto parts stores probably wouldn't have them since they're kind of an off-the-wall part, but maybe they do. The dealer probably wouldn't have something that old would they?

Car polish, then wax.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Meguire's makes a glass/plastic polish that works pretty well - unless the scuffs are REAL bad!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll give that a try. The scuffs aren't real bad, but you can really see them when the sunlight directly hits the lens.

Comment

Yes on car polish & wax. Even headlight restore will work. Especially if you use a drill & buffer.
          '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
          '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

I have some faded headlight lenses on a couple of my cars, so I bought some RainX headlight restore since it was the cheapest. I bought some soft rags too. I applied the headlight restore to my digital dash display lens as per the directions on the RainX.

When I got done buffing it, the lens looked a whole lot better than before, but you could see some slight swirl marks from where I had applied it in the small circular motion as per the directions. So, then I applied some car wax and, WOW, it looks like brand new!! Thanks, guys for the help. It really makes a big difference.

Comment

Made some great experience with an US product named NOVUS. The story goes that it was initially designed to restore the ball running areas of pinball machines; I purchased that here in Germany from a pinball service guy. NOVUS comes as #1 (polish); #2 (for fine to medium scratches) and #3 (for severe scratches). I used that for my pinball and it worked pretty good. After that I used this stuff for all kind of applications: cell pone display, car & bike cluster window, MGM & KIA frontlights, stained plastic containers which hang in the shower etc. Definitly removes the yellowish stains from plastic lenses.
              You have to be carefull with #3 as it acts like sanding paper, but for a quick polish #1 is greatly reommended.

Just my 2 cents.

JoJo

Comment

Working...
              X