transgo street/strip kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transgo street/strip kit

Alright... shoulda known it would be trouble.

I helped a friend out and we got a new transmission installed into his car.
    The previous one failed --you guessed it-- tv cable bushing. He's got a metal one on now, you'd better believe it!

He found a very clean one off craigslist. He said it had a shift kit in it....

We install it like you would a stock AOD.
    Won't get out of first gear.

He reveals that it's got a transgo street/strip kit, that's what he was told anyway.
    Look it up, after the fact, and it says:
    "Firm muscle car shifts; Hold 1st, 2nd, 3rd to any RPM. Wide Open 3-4 Shift; Holds 4th at high speed. Includes high rev kit"

OK... never dealt with shift kits before. What the hell does "hold 1st to any rpm" mean? And how the hell do you tell it to let go of 1st, and get into 2nd? How/where are the adjustments made?
    He can't get home right now, as he can't go over 40mph for sure, 20-30mph more realistically!

sounds like the 3/4 clutchbands are shot, or it was imprperly installed by previous owner, i think you may want to get ahold of silverfox and see what he says,
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Holy! It's been a month!

Still no progress, just have NOT had the time to deal with my friend's f*ck-up here.
      I did swap in his original valve body, AND his original governor, both known to be good.
      No luck.

Will not upshift, even with the tv cable disconnected.

Do any of the shift kits out there involve modifying the the case itself, drilling holes in the cast maze of aluminum galleries in the case, and not just the valve body?
      If so, maybe such a shift kit had been installed...
      Really weird what it's doing.

If 2-3 clutches were gone, it'd still have 2nd gear...and it would try to shift, right, even if it slipped badly? And I'd have material in the pan and burnt fluid, right? I don't, not after 20 miles of driving, fluid is clean as a whistle.

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
        Holy! It's been a month!

Still no progress, just have NOT had the time to deal with my friend's f*ck-up here.
        I did swap in his original valve body, AND his original governor, both known to be good.
        No luck.

Will not upshift, even with the tv cable disconnected.

Do any of the shift kits out there involve modifying the the case itself, drilling holes in the cast maze of aluminum galleries in the case, and not just the valve body?
        If so, maybe such a shift kit had been installed...
        Really weird what it's doing.

If 2-3 clutches were gone, it'd still have 2nd gear...and it would try to shift, right, even if it slipped badly? And I'd have material in the pan and burnt fluid, right? I don't, not after 20 miles of driving, fluid is clean as a whistle.
        so your saying it wont go past 2d?, if you ran it without tv cable now its definatly toast 3/4 bands are fried. 1st is kinda hard to notice try manual shifting, but id make a bet the bands are toast and needs a rebuild.

Comment

yeah, we tried manual shifting.
          No, we ran it in the air w/o the cable. No load, won't fry the clutches. It did this from the very first mile, so if they're completely fried, they always were.
          But wouldn't there be more clutch material in the pan, and, at least SOMETHING as they try to apply and slip?
          It won't go into 2nd, either, which does not need the clutches.

Comment

Okay, I don't know anything about shift kits, but I found this about the transgo kit over on stangnet http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...talled.472602/

Now, from what marvinmycat says
            The Transgo kit will allow you to manually shift into any gear you want by using the stock shifter. 1 is 1st gear, 2 is 2nd gear, D (w/ OD off) is 3rd, and D (w/ OD on) goes into 4th.
            He goes on in the post, probably quoting sales literature or something. Post is about halfway down the page and starts with "$99 for the kit, $129 for the install"

Could the transgo kit be specific for floorshifter or manual cars, and maybe something in the geometry of the shifter arm and cabling in his car be preventing it from shifting at all? I don't even know if it's the same model transgo that the other dude is talking about. The same post contains a copied FAQ on the transgo shift kits & mentions that some shift kit models are manual or auto specific, while some are dual use. I hope this helps!
            Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 05-20-2012, 10:46 AM.
            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Also in that thread they talk about drilling out holes in plates & things inside the tranny.
              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I have the street and strip transgo shift kit in my car and it automatically shifts through all gears.

Comment

methinks something got f*cked.
                  ford man, did you have to do anything to the case side of things, too, as part of the install?

Comment

Have 2 gxood AODs here
                    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

well when things start slipping alot of ppl do the first thing and change the trans fluid, so there may or nmay not be aclutch material,which will look lik ebalck dust on th ebottom of the pan. as for the transgo kit that was mentioned from a stang post that sounds like a manual vb to me. but i havnt read it yet but will here shorlty. and i bet if you rip that trans apart ill bet youll find alot more wrong than just fried clutches.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
                        well when things start slipping alot of ppl do the first thing and change the trans fluid, so there may or nmay not be aclutch material,which will look lik ebalck dust on th ebottom of the pan. as for the transgo kit that was mentioned from a stang post that sounds like a manual vb to me. but i havnt read it yet but will here shorlty. and i bet if you rip that trans apart ill bet youll find alot more wrong than just fried clutches.
                        that post in stangnet did not apply here thats for aode/4r70w trans not aod biiig difference. transgo in a aode or 4r70w will rip the transmission up real nice like. but m working on a doing a manual vb aode for mine at some point to see how it goes we have one sitting on the shefl and have never installe done so im going to be a guinea pig hehe or rather my car will be.

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
                          methinks something got f*cked.
                          ford man, did you have to do anything to the case side of things, too, as part of the install?
                          There is one spring or servo that you mess with in the case but that's just part of the shift kit.

I could look at the instructions if you think that will help you.

There are a LOT of steps involved in this shift kit but it functions like a regular automatic.

Comment

Working...
                          X