Explorer rear end into a 92

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explorer rear end into a 92

So I own a 1992 Grand Marquis and have an opportunity to drop the rear end of an explorer (95-2001) into it. The axle code is D4 which I believe means its an 8.8" 3.73 locker, which is perfect. The only thing i'm unsure of is whether or not this is a direct or easy swap. I have read that they will work and that they wont from other forums, one said the output shafts are different lengths, i have no idea. I have also read the explorer is a 31 spline vs our stock 28, will this be an issue? I am purchasing it as a whole, discs, carrier, gears, everything... Basically ripping it out with a torch. I apologize if this has been discussed before however my search results didn't include this info.

Not the same at all. You can swap the ring and pinion over, but none of the rest of it works.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
    X