Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive Springs/shocks

Gentlemen-
    Just ordered some Moog progressive springs for the mighty Mercury due to the rear end sagging with the slightest load. Any shock recommendations? I have a 21mm sway bar with moog links (urethane end link bushings). Looking for a smooth ride but a nice planted feel when cornering. I was thinking just some heavy duty monroes or gabriel mono-tubes- or heck I might keep the stockers longer. Only 45K on 'em. Anyone else running progressives? How do you like 'em?
    2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    185 degree stat. 21mm rear swaybar with moog end links, Moog progressive rear springs.
    JLT intake, B&M transmission pan, 2.25 inch duals, magnaflows, Powerstop drilled/slotted front rotors and ceramic pads. Kenwood Excelon deck, Kenwood 6x8 3-ways all the way around.

Most of us use progressive rate springs in the rear, mine are fine and I don't remember hearing many complaints. Folks like KYB shocks as an affordable quality shock, I can't remember which is which but they have two major types, one is more OE and the other is a little stiffer.
    If the stock ones don't feel bouncy Id wait and see how it feels with just new springs.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

many folks also use 93? F150 front shocks in the rear of their cars to help with traction (even stiffer shock)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I used KYB gas-a-justs on my old 97, loved them. GOing to put them on the 03. But on my 85 they would be too stiff.

Pete
        Last edited by Piece-it pete; 04-23-2012, 09:43 AM.
        Originally posted by gadget73
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Well I put the springs in this morning and discovered my driver side rear shock was blown to shit. Since I had everything apart I ran to autozone....yuck....and got the only thing they had in stock (advance had nothing), a set of gabriel ultras. Slammed it all back together. She is definately jacked a little in the back, and the ride is rougher for sure. The stance reminds me of my old police car. Just went around the block real quick, we'll see how she goes when I get a few miles on her. I think she may be a little under dampened. We'll let it ride as is for a while at least since I just dropped $70 on the Gabriels. Damnit.
          185 degree stat. 21mm rear swaybar with moog end links, Moog progressive rear springs.
          JLT intake, B&M transmission pan, 2.25 inch duals, magnaflows, Powerstop drilled/slotted front rotors and ceramic pads. Kenwood Excelon deck, Kenwood 6x8 3-ways all the way around.

Comment

Too bad The ride is rougher, I had hoped the progressives would soften the ride but still handle a load.

I my case the air shocks make it rough even with softer springs but I was thinking about trying to find progressive springs for the front.

Jay
            Last edited by jaywish; 04-28-2012, 04:43 PM.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I'll call it good if she handles better. I'm not too old for a little rougher ride. Hell I put about 300 thousand miles on P71s!

Comment

It will level itself out fairly soon. I got about 2 years out of my progressive rate springs before I was running 100 psi in the air shocks to keep the car level. I replaced them with standard sedan springs.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have the standard duty Moog wagon springs in there now. Maybe the sedan springs would be better. The shocks are auto so I do not know what pressure they run.

The upgrade to auto air shocks was fairly easy with the help of wagonman. A dedicated piece of wire harness across the front of the car, the compressor, air lines/signal lines under the driver side to the back, install the sensor and the shocks, done.

The setup would probably work just fine in a sedan as well as a wagon.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Rougher than what? A comatose inducing ride? Or a seasick inducing ride? You could double the spring rate on both ends of the car and still have a boat, albeit an underdamped boat. I've got OEM cop shocks and IMO they're coming up a bit short. The ass is a tad disproportionately soft compared to the front, which IMO is also too soft. Can't give up the air ride though, 1,000# in the trunk and it still sits level = win.

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                    Too bad The ride is rougher, I had hoped the progressives would soften the ride but still handle a load.

I my case the air shocks make it rough even with softer springs but I was thinking about trying to find progressive springs for the front.

Jay
                    1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

yeah, it is rougher, but yes it is all relative. My vette was clearly much more firm. now the front feels softer by comparison to the back suspension! not in a hurry to play with struts or anything though. maybe some poly bushings on the front swaybar to tighten her up a bit, nothing serious. I drove CVPIs for 8 years on the job and liked they way they performed, so I am trying to approximate that. My last one was a 2000 CVPI with 3:55s in the back. I also had a 96 Caprice for a few years....that thing ran REAL good. I digress....I am happier with the ride for sure, cornering requires far less dramamine. If it had 3:55s it might run pretty good! exhuast goes on tuesday (2.25 pipe with H pipe, Dynomax super turbos, stock exits, no tips----understated), so we'll see how much that helps. I would like to keep this thing for a few years an tinker with her. I know she'll never be fast, but I like a V8, and I have driven panthers for about 300 thousand hard miles....so I drive 'em pretty good!
                      Last edited by mpco239; 05-05-2012, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Rougher does not always equate with good handling. The more modern panthers and many cars handle, provide road feel, but do not transmit every bit of road harshness to the driver. I am thinking luxury and performance.

My old 93GM Sport was a good example, handling was ok or better, no excessive wallowing, but the ride was really nice compared to whatever I have been able to do to the 89. If I can get the 89 to the standards of a car only a few years newer that would be great.

If it was a car meant for the race circuit it would be different and I would expect harshness to be part of the package.

Jay
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

in this case however....rougher is a symptom of better handling

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                            many folks also use 93? F150 front shocks in the rear of their cars to help with traction (even stiffer shock)
                            will thise fit my 92 merc?

Comment

Working...
                            X