Possible to add a 3 on the tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to add a 3 on the tree?

Hey guys hows is going. Hope you all had a nice weekend. Well I though I would share with you one of my crazy thoughts I have rolling around in my head. I was wondering if I could add a 3 on the tree in my 1989 Grand Marquis with stock 302. Possible or am I just thinking nonsense. THanks.

anything is possible given a large enough supply of money and time.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

as in a 3 speed manual? I would imagine there would be significant fabrication required, at the very least. And then you'd have to manually shift, and have one less gear...

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Yea its s 3spd manual but I love how you shift with the coulomb.

Comment

Have you ever drove one on the tree before? Their a total pain in the ass.
          1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
          2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
          sigpic

Comment

I haven't but would love to try it. There's just something about it I'm not quite sure what but maby its the shifting with the coulomb i don't know. I only ask because if I had to convert to manual I don't want to cut a hole in the floor then having the shifter coulomb just there. I'd like to keep the coulomb and get manual but i'm sure that I am bitting off more then I can chew on this one.

Comment

Those things are ridiculous to shift. And the shifter is abnormally huge. You'd probably have to swap your column out for one with a truck that had that, though bolting that up and making everything work would be kind of a challenge. Since the high beams are on a step switch and what not.

Comment

They are neat to drive, but a floor shifter is much more effective. You can remove the factory shift arm with relative ease, if you convert to a floor shifted manual (or auto).

My Dad had a '62 Impala 2 dr sedan with a 3 spd column shift. It was a novelty to drive. Definitely fun, but not something I'd sink any effort into doing on one of these cars.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

You'd need to fabricate the entire shift mechanism. Not impossible, but not easy. 3 speeds also kind of suck. Not sure if you've ever driven something with a 3 but it wants for more gears badly. A 4 (or 3 with OD) is sort of a minimum for decent driving.

Amusingly, the column shift was at one point a luxury. It was considered an upgrade to not have the clunky stick poking out of the floor. They were unfortunately rather cumbersome to drive and when the linkages wore out, it was more like poke and hope than shifting gears.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

A luxury indeed. I would love to get a feel of the car with a stick shift but I don't want to ruin the "originality" of the car.The column shifter would be best of both worlds for me.

Comment

I don't think it'd be worth it, most likely it'll have slightly higher 1st-3rd ratios, which means more sluggish takeoffs but lower rpm cruising speed. You'll have no OD gear for the highway so the engine will be spinning faster if you drive on the highways. I drive my AOD like a 3spd, only use OD when driving for 5 minutes or more at 55mph or more, wouldn't want to stress the transmission and engine anymore than that, then again that'd be a manual which stay cooler and I need an external cooler for mine.

Anywho why not do the standard T5 swap? There's already writeups and you'll be gaining in every category, not going back. Yeah 3-on-the-tree's are cool but not practical, a 5spd on the floor is more practical, or if you wanna stay old school find an old 4spd and use that, make it muscle car style.
                      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Hmmm I guess I'll sleep on it.

Comment

If you have the time and money, and the car is just to cruise city streets with and not your only daily transportation, then go for it. Otherwise i'd leave it alone or find an alternative.
                          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Umm how about a full manual valve body for your aod?
                            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                            X