Speedo Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo Gears

I was looking through an old notebook and found a scribbled note about the speedo gear to use on a 3.55 (K-code) diff, AOD car. It would be the 19T (tan gear)/ 7T gear; the part number C7VY-A. Is this the gear to use in our Panthers with the K-code rear? Thanks

Packman

That sounds about right based on the online calculators I've been using. My car has slightly shorter tires than it did stock, which required me to swap from a 19T to a 20T VSS gear with my 8T drive in the T5. According to the online calculator, I'll need a 7T drive and 21T VSS gear to get my speedo in check with 3.73s. So even though it's speculation, I could see 2 teeth difference between my bigger gears and smaller tires.
    1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Aw shoot! I forgot about the tires. Yeah the front are 25.5" and the rear is 26". Do you think I need to change to the 20T? Is there a speedo gear formula for calculating how many teeth (which gear to get) is needed for the speedo gear? Thanks for replying

Packman

Comment

Depends on the number of splines on the gear of the output shaft the speedometer gear rides on. Some take the 19T tan gear, Others take the 20T orange gear. My speedometer is accurate with the 21T purple gear.

Comment

Hmmmm........the speedo gears aren't that expensive, so I guess it's trial and error.

Packman

Comment

Where do you find these speedo gears, do parts stores carry them?
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
              Where do you find these speedo gears, do parts stores carry them?
              Summit has them. If you have an old guy at the parts desk of your local Ford Dealer, you might find them there. I got my purple gear from a junkyard, and pocketed the bitch.

Comment

ebay. No problems. It was <$20, you can argue about price (I hear they used to be cheaper), but $20 and 2 days later I was no longer cruising city streets maxxing my speedometer at 85mph

Comment

any time I've needed one, I just went to the dealership and told them what I needed.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I bought my speedo gears from MustangsUnlimited.com I haven't found a radar to test it out yet.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                      I bought my speedo gears from MustangsUnlimited.com I haven't found a radar to test it out yet.

Packman
                      Do you have a smartphone? There are GPS speedometer apps. I've found them to be pretty accurate.
                      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                      Past Panthers
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

If you go on a drive over 50 miles or so on the same road, just hit the odo at a mile marker or "X miles to" sign and check it that way. For instance, I drove to Kingston (3 hour drive) and hit the trip odometer when I passed a sign saying "Xkm to Toronto" and then checked it as I hit the "Welcome to Toronto" sign. The trip odometer showed the same number of KM as the sign had said when I hit the trip odometer, therefore the odometer is accurate.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

How does the tripminder get its data?
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

one little... two little.. three little sensors...

VSS, fuel efficiency signal from the ECM... and some calculations from time passed IIRC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

i had posted the gear part number a while back it ran me like 3 or 4 bucks at the dealer for the 3.55
                              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                              X