Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noobie, GM mod questions

G'Day,
    Always wanted a GM so picked up a 2000 for $3000, low mileage and really nice cond. I love driving this car, comfort, power, RWD.
    I knew before I bought it that I would be doing some mods...my wife called the GM an old man's car, she wanted me to get a 300C but i didn't want to spend $20,000 plus, and have a car payment so now i need to do some mods and make the GM look and ride a bit better.

1. Cold air intake: I've searched K&N Typhoon Air Intake System and can only find them for 2004 and up! Will these fit on a 2000 or what is everyone using?

2. I bought '05 5 Spoke Mustang Rims 18", my understanding is I'll need 1.5" spacers? I know some are putting 2" on the rear.

3. Exhaust, what is recommended, headers? 2.25 pipe with which muffler?

4. Window tint, 35% sides and 20% rear.

5. "Chip" what is this? Is it a bogus mod?

6. I've heard "tune" used a lot in forums, what exactly does that refer too? Will I need to do it once the CAI and Exhaust is done?

If anyone can recommend somewhere online to buy parts that would be great.
    I'm into bikes I've got 3 GSXR's a ZRX and and YZ, the car interest is new so any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bruce
    Attached Files

Maybe I should of put this in the GENERAL section...sorry.

Comment

I just put on a JLT intake and had a 2.25 system welded up with Magnaflows. Sounds excellent.
      2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
      185 degree stat. 21mm rear swaybar with moog end links, Moog progressive rear springs.
      JLT intake, B&M transmission pan, 2.25 inch duals, magnaflows, Powerstop drilled/slotted front rotors and ceramic pads. Kenwood Excelon deck, Kenwood 6x8 3-ways all the way around.

Comment

my 93 uses the AEM CAI. Fits ok... can be made to fit even better with some weatherstrip on the inner fender to fill the mounting gaps, but meh. Says that one should fit up to 02.
        Low price on quickie search:
        http://vr-speed.com/store/9202-ford-...1-p-21319.html

as for the chip... some refer to the "cop chip". This is an ECM swap with the ECM from a police intercepter. The better way to go is to use a superchips (or similar) tuner that can adjust your engine to optimize it directly. Any of the cheap chips are simple resistors that are used to trick the ECM and only work for a while until the computer learns its way around it. (usually just 2-4 temp cycles).

+1 tint FTW

the rest... dunno.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Awesome input, thanks.
          I've seen the AEM CAI, looks good (JLT intake is the same?) but wanted the Stage 2 that comes with tube etc.
          Really looking towards the K&N simply because I've used their products so much in the past and everyone knows that brand.
          But if I can find a full system made by some other co. then that's OK.
          Bruce

Comment

1. Here is the JLT link:
            http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/in...23pl72mk363di1
            I run a JLT on my Marauder and it rocks. The only thing is that this is just the filter element with a MAF adapter.
            Also check out ADTR.net: http://www.adtr.net/store/index.php?...h=59_70&page=1
            I'll be making my own intake out of aluminum for my Tank once I put the PI motor in (with the new motor, the intake moves from the rear, to looking like yours).
            This is what I currently run:

It will change soon.
            98-04 is essentially the same. 05+ changes to drive by wire.

2. I'd run 1.5" all around. I run 1/4" in the front and 1.5" in the rear. I should really step up the front soon.

3. 2.25" is the general consensus. If you get Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP) shorty heads, you'll have to have have the downpipe to the cats bent to the angle of the headers. The headers exit at a different angle than the stock ones, plus, they're for a Mustang. ADTR sells Kooks and Stainless Steelworks headers for your car and full exhaust systems if you're willing to pay.

4. Tint sounds good.

5. Chip. No. Ideally, you should throw on a bunch of bolt-on mods that you will see gains from, then get a SCT Xcal3 tune for the car or have Lonnie at BlueOvalChips.com hook you up. Lonnie can burn a program speciffically for your car and your mods.
            I would add:
            -Intake
            -Bigger throttle body (70mm or 75mm)
            -Ported/ larger upper intake plenum
            -Underdrive Pulleys
            -Exhaust
            -J-mod
            -Maybe torque converter and a PI head swap.

But I would accquire and install the aforementioned items and then get the tune. You will notice some gains as you add the parts, but when you get the tune, hold on to your pants! It also prevents you from wasting money by tuning the car after every mod. The computer will learn to an extent.
            After I do the PI motor swap in my 93, it will pretty much be at the limit for the PCM. And I have a crap ton of mods.

6. See 5.

Phew! I need a beer.
            If you have any more questions, please ask away.
            And you were correct to add it in the performance section.

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

For the money the JLT is the best thing going. All of what you need, no window dressing. Cheapest intake i have ever bought and she is good to go. Might be blasphemy, but I am guessing gains right there with the Marauder air box/80mm MAF with no tune needed. Great mod!
              185 degree stat. 21mm rear swaybar with moog end links, Moog progressive rear springs.
              JLT intake, B&M transmission pan, 2.25 inch duals, magnaflows, Powerstop drilled/slotted front rotors and ceramic pads. Kenwood Excelon deck, Kenwood 6x8 3-ways all the way around.

Comment

Excellent thanks, JLT is plus $40 for shipping to CAN, i'll check locally if not i'll order that.
                I know a guy with a '09 CV P71, it's a right-off, is there anything I could get off that?
                Thanks, I very much appreciate your assistance.
                Bruce

Comment

Firm up the suspension first. KYB shocks, sway bars, maybe decent control arms. Then upgrade the brakes. Then we add power.
                  sigpic
                  2009 GM, 45,000 miles
                  ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

Comment

In addition to Gohrnecks guidance I add this----PI cams, heads, intake, etc. Take the whole rear end off that CVPI and you'll have 3.23?s or 3:55s, and possibly a trac-lock instead of your 2.73s and shitty brakes. Get a tune and you are GTG. Take the aluminium driveshaft too. Shit, if you can take the transmission, you get a looser torque converter. Take the engine and trans oil coolers/hoses. Take the airbox, zip tube and MAF- same as a marauder and if you are going to tune for gears tune for that too. You could pull the entire cat back exhaust with hangers and you would have a 2" dual system with H-pipe in STAINLESS and all you would need to make it work is the cat gaskets. While not as good as a good aftermarket job with good mufflers and 2.25 inch pipe, it sounds FREE and stainless is REALLY expensive (try $1000) on the aftermarket. Take the shocks and springs if its a low mileage car. If it is a marked unit and has 60K or more I would say the swaybars would be good with new end links, but the shocks and springs may be shit by that time. Those cars get beat on hard- I know- I used to beat on them. Take the anti- gas tank rupture shit off the differential and shock mounts. Only police cars get that stuff and you never know- you might get rear ended hard and it could save you a fiery death.

Hell- if you are really motivated take everything off the drivetrain from the radiator back to include the wiring harness and computer. Then no tune is needed!
                    Last edited by mpco239; 05-10-2012, 10:50 AM.

Comment

LOL, cool, i'm not that motivated, just want to do some simple things...I'll look at the exhaust, check out the shocks and springs and the zip tube/MAF.
                      If my motor was pooched I'd grab that with the trans and drive-train, but mine is good enough.
                      It's going to cost me, guy is just an acquaintance.
                      Thanks,
                      Bruce

Comment

Missed out on th CV parts, buddy sold it.

Comment

Got tint, BlackBox Alpine, just trying to figure out if I should do it myself? Watch youtube, looks OK.

Comment

Post pics with those wheels, I imagine they look great on the car.
                            79 Grand Marquis

Comment

Rims not on yet waiting for spacers to be delivered, should be on next week...I'll post pic's.

Comment

Working...
                              X