Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998CV to 2003MGM taillight conversion, help needed

Hi,
    as I have often hassle with the authorities here in Germany because of my red rear turn signals (amber is mandatory in Germany) I decided to swap some CV tails plus the "trunk part" (is it called the rear fascia?) on my 2003 MGM.
    Electric cablework is not a problem for me, I wil get that fixed.

My question: Will a taillight set from a 1998 CV physically fit "plug and play" onto my 2003 MGM?
    What about the keyhole in the trunk lid; must I expect fitting or relocation hassles here?

I am asking because I could get such a taillight set from a forum member.

Thanks for your support in advance.

JoJo

98-03 are direct swap (no mods needed) for the tail lights. And yes... the keyhole is in the same place on both. Since the backup-lights are already on the trunk lid, You shouldn't need to change anything on the trunk unless you're just doing that to match up the trim looks. You may have to replace the entire trunk lid though. The chrome trim in the middle (with the Mercury logo) may be a different style than the Ford trim depending on what trim level you have.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Would it be possible to keep the Mercury trunk trim and remove the chrome from the CV trunk trim to transplant it onto the Mercury? Would look much nicer with a crome trim not only on the tails but also as a "line" over the full rear. Just looked in my driveway, the upper trunk chrome on the MGM will not fit with the CV trunk trim . I dont wanna get a a new trunk lid imported at mucho $$$$ just for getting amber turns !

Comment

If you're getting the ambers without the chrome trim, that should fit the trim on your trunk fine looks wise. I'd wait until you have the lenses installed to decide on what to do with the trunk.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
        X