2004 MGM with ATC- blower motor- troubleshooting thread for reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2004 MGM with ATC- blower motor- troubleshooting thread for reference

Today my blower quit working with no warning. This is what I have done to troubleshoot the issue/waste money. First I checked both the underhood and in car fuses. They looked good. I then changed the relay- I was at autozone so I figured I might as well give it a shot. No bueno. I then ordered a blower motor since I figured ignorantly enough that would be the final word (I am clearly retarded). I pulled the old motor. It did not look bad. There was some black dust which looked like brake dust (don't know if the motor has a brake or not) on/in the housing. I installed the new motor- nothing. I checked voltage at the motor, 12.9 volts. I am guessing the resistor box varies the amperage fed to the motor and I was reading 12.9 volts at extremely low amperage since the motor did not turn. I ordered a new resistor box, but after searching the forum, I note the ATC module? itself may get bad connections. I will try the trouble code reading technique next. Does anyone know of a good writeup or have good knowledge on precisely troubleshooting this system (which seems problematic)? I would like to save the next guy since I am about $75 into this fiasco already with now clear end in sight. Thank God I have a motorcycle to ride when the MGM takes a shit.
    2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    185 degree stat. 21mm rear swaybar with moog end links, Moog progressive rear springs.
    JLT intake, B&M transmission pan, 2.25 inch duals, magnaflows, Powerstop drilled/slotted front rotors and ceramic pads. Kenwood Excelon deck, Kenwood 6x8 3-ways all the way around.

Judging from the DTCs posted, it doesn't diagnose resistor failure. Does anyone know what the stock resistor is supposed to ohm out at?
    185 degree stat. 21mm rear swaybar with moog end links, Moog progressive rear springs.
    JLT intake, B&M transmission pan, 2.25 inch duals, magnaflows, Powerstop drilled/slotted front rotors and ceramic pads. Kenwood Excelon deck, Kenwood 6x8 3-ways all the way around.

Comment

I'm pretty sure your "resistor" is the solid state bastage. That one doesn't "ohm out". It either works, or it doesn't.

That ATC should be able to give you codes though... see if you can pull the codes and you should be able to find the issue that way.
      I have no clue how to pull those codes though... all my cars are old. It is posted somewhere on here.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The ones posted here on the forum are as follows
        There must be a way to test the resistor box on the car. I don't have much experience with troubleshooting this stuff on cars, althought I did a lot of it on wind turbines. 2.5 million dollar turbines get pretty kinky with the electrics. I guess you have to with three phases of 600 VAC at 2500 amps.

DTCs EATC Hard Faults EATC Intermittent Faults Description Action To Take
        B1249 024 025 Blend door short or failure Go to pinpoint test A
        B1251 031 N/A In-car temperature sensor open circuit Go to pinpoint test B
        B1253 030 N/A In-car temperature sensor short to ground Go to pinpoint test B
        B1255 041 043 Ambient Temperature sensor open circuit Go to pinpoint test C
        B1257 040 042 Ambient Temperature sensor short to ground Go to pinpoint test C
        B1260 053 051 A/C solar radiation sensor open circuit Go to pinpoint test D
        B1261 050 052 Solar radiation sensor circuit short to ground Go to pinpoint test D
        U1073 N/A N/A SCP invalid or missing data for engine coolant Refer to self-diagnostics in Engine performance
        U1341 N/A N/A SCP invalid or missing data for function read vehicle speed Refer to self diagnostics in Engine performance

Comment

There is a blower speed control unit that lives in the plenum, basically right behind the passenger side valve cover. Pull it out, I seem to remember its 2 or 3 screws. Once its out, pull the circuit board off the mounting plate and re-solder all of the joints on it. Usually the joints on the large power transistor crack and cause the motor to not run. More often than not, simply re-soldering them fixes it for no money.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well....I ordered an aftermarket replacement board from Partsgeek. Cost $41. After pulling the old one out and slamming the new one in I am thinking this thing is very easy to install if there is no engine in the car. It all works now so I guess it was worth it. I hope I do not have to replace this part again!

Comment

Working...
            X