Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What possible donor cars for a '90 GM transmission.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What possible donor cars for a '90 GM transmission.

I assume all '88 to '91 GM and Crown Vics would fit. Any others outside that range or even other models that would be a drop in swap?

that's pretty much it. You'll prefer 89-92.5 though (the .5 meaning the first half of the 92 model year of the CV and GM... they had the bastard block 4.6 with the mechanical AOD that you have).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yup.
      Tell you what, I've got a rebuilt unit for $300 if you want it: I live in Towson, so maybe an hour's drive from you? After I build my performance transmission, I re-rebuilt my old one
      I had professional help on both of them, and will be shortly become an employee at that trans shop.
      Call it $600 installed, too. Might be as long as 2 weeks before I'd have time to install it, though. I think I'm as fast as 4 hours now to install... but that's just when I'd have time at my shop space.
      Throw in free new trans mount too (OK, so they're only $10, but I've still got a spare new one)

Comment

I think it's 89+ that has the better valve body. Yes, I've got the newer valve body (mine's a 1990). That's why you'd want the newer one. At a minimum, it deletes the problematic 3-4 accumulator. Dunno what else it does.
        It might have been 88+ that had better lubrication for the planetary, and better lubrication for the output shaft. That's also why you'd want the newer one.

Think that's about it.

There's a better 2-3 accumulator I can put in; costs $20 from Alan @ dirtydog. The other improvements get more involved. If you replaced the failed rubber tv grommet with another rubber grommet, we can get you a $7 brass one: good for the long haul.

$60 gets a stock rebuilt torque converter. Not a bad idea, not an expensive idea, and a cheap selling point while the trans is out anyway!

Comment

and a stronger case IIRC (I could be mistaken on this one, but 89+ is stronger in general).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

mustang AODs fit also. Beware the rare police mustang: I got bit by that. Otherwise, they, too, are the same exact case.
            There is apparently some difference between a 6 cyl and 8cyl mustang aod? The bellhousing casting may have differed, because it bolted to a different engine? Not sure on the details.
            If that's the case, ALSO be sure that it's from a mustang gt (with the v8)
            Whereas all crown vics are v8/302s.

Comment

oh, yeah, I think you're right on that one.
              Never heard of a cracked case on any aod anyway though
              You'd have to be abusing the sh*t out of it....

Comment

mustangs will have the high-rev governor though. Shift at a higher point than the CV/GM trans. not a good thing unless you're planning a HO conversion/swap in short order.

Comment

true.
                  Got a low-rev governor for free if you want to swap it into a mustang trans

I dunno how much of a difference it really makes though? What, 2000 instead of 1500rpm shift points?
                  I had both, and neither made a huge difference. Ran a bit better with the high-rev (can't bog down the engine at 2000rpm), but not a whole lot of difference.

Comment

starting in 1990, the shift linkage went from a rod to a cable. if you get a trans out of an earlier car, or something else with a floor shift, be prepared to change the shift levers on the side of the transmission. This requires minor disassembly to change the parts out. I think the only zero work drop-in transmissions are likely to be the 90-92.5 Mercury/Ford full size cars.

The shift governer has much more to do with WOT shift points. ~4200 rpm with the low rev, ~4800 with the high rev.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

oh, didn't know they ever had rods!
                      Buddy's '89 mustang was a cable.

The shift levers are easy to do, atikovi, and you have the correct one of course in your core. There's a spring, pay attention to how it's mounted (first time I took it off, took a few minutes to figure out how it went back on), beyond that just a nut or two handled with your wrench set and you're golden. You don't even need to remove the valve body. Filter needs to come out though.

Comment

Most column shift things till 89 and the trucks until some point had the rod linkage. I think the trucks didn't change until the column was revised, maybe early 90s ?
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X