1998 auto dimming mirror wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998 auto dimming mirror wiring

Hello, I was wondering if anyone would have a wiring diagram, or a knowledge of what the wires to an auto dimming rear view mirror from a 98 Grand Marquis do. (mirror has compass feature too) (and maybe temperature?)

I picked one from a Junkyard to put in my 85 CV but in order for me to wire it in I need an understanding of the wires.

This one has three wires:

Black = Ground I'm guessing

Black with Blue Stripe = usually this color wire has something to do with interior lighting on my 80's vehicles

Black and Yellow or maybe Blue with yellow = no idea

Sorry if the colors are wrong but I am colorblind and maybe if someone here has an EVTM they can figure this out for me, Thanks a bunch
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

There should be 3 wires. A power, a ground and a reverse trigger. The black is ground. The black with pink stripe should be reverse power. The purple wire with yellow stripe is key on power.
    Reverse power is to turn the auto dimming feature off when you're in reverse tap that into the black pink wire for your reverse lights...

Comment

Thanks, I saw in your sig that you added one to your car as well so you should be experienced with this mod. What brand of adhesive do you recommend to keep the new mirror from falling off?
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Originally posted by fmansfield444 View Post
        Thanks, I saw in your sig that you added one to your car as well so you should be experienced with this mod. What brand of adhesive do you recommend to keep the new mirror from falling off?
        In all honesty, go to a windshield place and have them install it. It's the strongest shit you can use. I have had mixed results with the rearview adhesive packets at the auto parts store. Mine kept falling off until it finally took a chunk out the glass. I broke down and got a new windshield. That was my permanent fix lol.

Comment

You can bend some of the tabs inside the mounting area of the mirror, and then drill and tap the mount area to accept an allen headed set screw......but if your windshield receptacle if already missing I would just install the correct one.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If you get an autodim mirror from a Mitsubishi Montero (they have both temp and compass in their mirror) it will have the set screw type.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
              In all honesty, go to a windshield place and have them install it. It's the strongest shit you can use. I have had mixed results with the rearview adhesive packets at the auto parts store. Mine kept falling off until it finally took a chunk out the glass. I broke down and got a new windshield. That was my permanent fix lol.
              +1 on this. My Granfather's 93 TC Cartier had the Autodim sensor and the autodimming mirror and it was always falling down. I used the shit Autozone/Pepboys sells, followed the instructions to the letter and still in a month it fell. Finally after 3 times, I took it to dealer who had their glass guy do it and it stayed put.
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                You can bend some of the tabs inside the mounting area of the mirror, and then drill and tap the mount area to accept an allen headed set screw......but if your windshield receptacle if already missing I would just install the correct one.
                Yep this worked great, just used my old metal tab thing

At first the mirror was a little wobbly but I bent the tabs and used the same screw and it's on great now. Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                  If you get an autodim mirror from a Mitsubishi Montero (they have both temp and compass in their mirror) it will have the set screw type.
                  Newer GM SUVs came with this as well, though the temp sensor is external and needs to be harvested with the mirror.
                  1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
                    Newer GM SUVs came with this as well, though the temp sensor is external and needs to be harvested with the mirror.
                    They're all externally mounted temp sensors. When the one that I had harvested before didn't work. I bought a mirror and temp sensor with wiring harness off of ebay for about 85 bucks. That temperature indicator is pretty damn accurate too.

Comment

Yeah I went with just the compass one for now because all the temp mirrors I saw at the yard only displayed either compass or temperature. I want one that displays both at the same time. My moms Camry has one like that. The black display is a little larger.

Comment

Originally posted by fmansfield444 View Post
                        Yeah I went with just the compass one for now because all the temp mirrors I saw at the yard only displayed either compass or temperature. I want one that displays both at the same time. My moms Camry has one like that. The black display is a little larger.

Me likey single display mirrors. Only issue with changing from single to dual display is that the connector is completely different.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-07 15.44.54.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1269521

YES!! Got this hooked up, got it from a Saturn VUE. It had a different plug, but still only 5 wires. Ignition, Ground, Reverse (which I didn't worry about), and 2 temps

Comment

by the way, it was very hot

Comment

Working...
                            X