Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTF is this autolamp delay switch behind my headlamp switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF is this autolamp delay switch behind my headlamp switch?

There's this roller thingy mounted on/behind my headlight switch. I believe it's called "autolamp delay" or something. Is that what sometimes keeps my domelight on after I leave the car or have I had auto headlights all my life and never known it? The car had every other option available in 92 if that matters like TC/ABS, EATC, digidash, and rear air ride.
    1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

both. it controls how long the interior lights stay on after you get out of the car, and it also turns the auto headlamps on and off. It should click off if you turn it all the way to the left.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I never trust that damn dome light. It was just before sunrise this morning on my way to work and they stayed on all the way to the max position, I assume max means darker than min before the lights kick on? A brief search indicates that they're not auto-dimmers, but I think I remember seeing an article on either CVN or P71Interceptor's page for retrofitting it.
      1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

the sensitivity is actually set on the sensor itself. You have to get to it to mess with it. Its somewhere under the dash pad, not sure exactly where. ALl that control does is adjust how long the interior lights stay on after you get out of the car. and it disables the automatic headlights entirely if you click it off.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I thought it controlled how long the headlights stay on after shutting the car off ? Well , actually I know it does in my 88 Townie . maybe its' different on a 92?
          sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

duh, yeah it is the headlights. for some reason I'm thinking of my truck with it's delayed off interior lights.

Comment

The light sensor is in the same place as the boxes. The only difference is to access it I think you go through the bottom...

Comment

Under the dashpad = too much work. I'll just see now if the auto-dimming headlights are worth the trouble, we had them in an 81 Caddy and they were pretty sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
                  Under the dashpad = too much work. I'll just see now if the auto-dimming headlights are worth the trouble, we had them in an 81 Caddy and they were pretty sweet.
                  I'll save you the trouble and just let you know now, you don't want to do autodim if you're afraid to go in the dash...

Comment

I had AutoDim in my 89 LTC and my 79 Town Coupe. It wasn't all that. I hardly ever need my high-beams so maybe that is why I didn't see the value. I don't think the Vics/GMs ever got it. Lincoln thing.
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

i never use the auto dim on the Mark VII. Its either too sensitive or not sensitive enough. if I set it high enough to trip when I see an oncoming car, it also tends to wig out when passing road signs. The auto-dim in Scott's Towncar is very similar. I think I had John with me one time in that car and I turned it on to show off why I didn't think it was a particularly useful feature. We went past a sign or something and it started going apeshit.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        i never use the auto dim on the Mark VII. Its either too sensitive or not sensitive enough. if I set it high enough to trip when I see an oncoming car, it also tends to wig out when passing road signs. The auto-dim in Scott's Towncar is very similar. I think I had John with me one time in that car and I turned it on to show off why I didn't think it was a particularly useful feature. We went past a sign or something and it started going apeshit.
                        Pretty much my experience. I've noticed some newer cars are bringing the feature back. I wonder if it has improved.
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          I think I had John with me one time in that car and I turned it on to show off why I didn't think it was a particularly useful feature. We went past a sign or something and it started going apeshit.
                          yeah. scared itself lol.

Comment

They've been installing it off and on since the 1950s. The really old ones used photomultiplier vacuum tubes and a big tube control circuit to make it work. I don't know that its ever been truly reliable or useful.

Comment

In the sticks where I live ,the auto dim is awesome
                              sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

Working...
                              X