Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

84 chev silverado - any 73-87 guys here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 chev silverado - any 73-87 guys here?

Couldn't resist my urge of getting one of these trucks anymore, got a trade offer for my dirtbike and caved in.

84 Chevrolet Silverado. Power locks, windows, cruise, tilt ... truck is loaded. It has a fresh and decently done up 350 too. Tranny needed a rebuild but I just scored my uncles old turbo 350 that is like brand new. That is going in right now. Fun summer toy I'd say, heres a few pics, more to come when its out of the shop.

Here's the two pictures I took with my cell before I dropped it off.

Not bad on trade for a two stroke dirtbike aka ticking time bomb. Had a mechanic look at it all, thought it was a straight old truck. Now to put a posi in...
    79 Grand Marquis

nice score... I'd pop the cab over lights off and put down some fresh seal-it goop to prevent leaks... but that's just me. I'm not a big fan of cab-over lights anyhow. But for that kind of a deal... I would deal with it and learn to like it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I love them. Hell my username is one lol. Nice find.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

When it comes time to buy a truck I will likely be looking at something like that but the next generation (late 80s, early 90s)

I prefer that style but finding a truck that I don't feel bad about using as a truck (ie: is immaculate looking like that one) is easier
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

These are nice trucks. I prefer the earlier round headlight trucks (with the higher hood and front fenders), but the later ones are nice too.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Those trucks are awesome. I have a 78 single cab long bead with a hopped up 350 and i love it. Mine is 4x4 and sometimes i wish it was just 2 wheel drive because i never use the 4x4 and the suspension is super stiff on mine with the lift and all. One thing to look at is the headlight switch as sometimes the wiring harness grounds out and the lights go haywire till you move the switch around some but thats a super nice chevy! have fun here is a pic of mineClick image for larger version

Name:	truck.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1269428
            1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
            1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
              nice score... I'd pop the cab over lights off and put down some fresh seal-it goop to prevent leaks... but that's just me. I'm not a big fan of cab-over lights anyhow. But for that kind of a deal... I would deal with it and learn to like it.
              Nobody seems to like cab lights but I LOVE them. Maybe I'm just weird but I find just around sunset they look great... Brings back old memories of my father and his old trucks.

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
              These are nice trucks. I prefer the earlier round headlight trucks (with the higher hood and front fenders), but the later ones are nice too.
              Me too. Figured some day if I had the money and couldn't find a mint late 70's one I would get some 80's one and convert it, biggest hard on for the 70's front ends around. Some of them just look so great rug up, like my front end quite a bit too, the grille style after mine? Not so much.

Originally posted by 84merc951 View Post
              Those trucks are awesome. I have a 78 single cab long bead with a hopped up 350 and i love it. Mine is 4x4 and sometimes i wish it was just 2 wheel drive because i never use the 4x4 and the suspension is super stiff on mine with the lift and all. One thing to look at is the headlight switch as sometimes the wiring harness grounds out and the lights go haywire till you move the switch around some but thats a super nice chevy! have fun here is a pic of mine[ATTACH=CONFIG]33044[/ATTACH]
              Yeah, your truck looks good. What's on it for tires? And thanks for the advice, I will. Mine has a hopped up 350 too with a edelbrock high rise intake and a 650 carb, heads, a big cam (I'll post specs when I get a chance), flat top pistons, ect .. Works pretty good actually.

Finally, here's a picture of the dirtbike I traded for the truck -

It was a 2001 Kawasaki KX125 with a Eric Gorr 144 big bore, v-force reeds, piped and jetted, few other minor things done to it .. Not like I traded junk for it but I still feel like I got ahead on this one. Didn't have much faith in the stock tranny so it is getting a th-350 that I had in the shed put in it right now actually. Hard to imagine this truck came with cruise, power locks and windows and ac back in the day, cowboy Cadalliac for sure
              Last edited by Leafsrule16; 06-12-2012, 05:00 PM.
              79 Grand Marquis

Comment

The truck tires are 37 inch and 16.5 American racing rims. Yep the 350 combo works good as my 350 has a Crowler beast cam single duration, Edelbrock 600cfm, Holley intake, headman headers, dual Flow master 2.5 inch that come out behind the tires, And with the tires so big i had to put 4.10s in the front and rear. But im planning some day soon to drop the truck to like a 3 inch lift on 32 inch tires or so because im getting tired of being thrown around at high was speeds and for the mpgs too.
                1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
                1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

sweet truck I like those older chevy's you need new drivers side sealed beams lol that's in really good shape

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                  302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                  k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Time to up-date your avatar.
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 84merc951 View Post
                      The truck tires are 37 inch and 16.5 American racing rims. Yep the 350 combo works good as my 350 has a Crowler beast cam single duration, Edelbrock 600cfm, Holley intake, headman headers, dual Flow master 2.5 inch that come out behind the tires, And with the tires so big i had to put 4.10s in the front and rear. But im planning some day soon to drop the truck to like a 3 inch lift on 32 inch tires or so because im getting tired of being thrown around at high was speeds and for the mpgs too.
                      Yeah, I'll have to post my cam specs but I imagine our motor's have similar power. I like the look of a truck on 33's more for some reason, 33 inch mud terrains on rally wheels look great.

And yeah, new avitar too. Fun truck, wish it didn't have an open rear but I can always fix that.
                      79 Grand Marquis

Comment

Here's a few more pictures of the truck while in the build process.

79 Grand Marquis

Comment

not a heck of a lot to that engine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

not a heck of a lot to that truck at all! you could put another motor under the hood.
                            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

yeah, it makes a 350 look small while a panther makes a 280-something look huge...

I'll post more pictures in a bit, interior and underneath and stuff, not a bad old truck though.
                              79 Grand Marquis

Comment

Working...
                              X