Valve Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Body

Hi guys. I was searching around thinking about how I could improve my transmission and possibly sort out it's slightly weird behavior, and found that maybe a valve body would be just what the doctor ordered. Most of them that I've seen give a full true manual second gear. But I've also seen some that reroute the flow of power in 3rd gear from the small input shaft to the larger input shaft. However the ones that I've seen that did that are constant pressure valve bodies. And from what I understand, that would mean I would always have a firm shift right?
    Anyway I'm just trying to find something that will work with what I've got, without having to modify anything else in the transmission.

The TransGo shift kit I am selling would work. Still have to do the LDL shuffle. The solinoid ativated OD Lenco VB I use would work. Pure manual shift ones would tear you drive train appart and realy requires a lot of expensive internal mods.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I'm not looking for a pure manual shift. I think that's just dumb. I want the thing to shift by itself, but I also want to have a true manual 2nd gear. The 1-D-1 must go!

Comment

The more I read, I like what the Silver Fox SPT-R does. Overdrive lockout with a solenoid, and also has an adjustable wide open throttle shift point. Though to change it, the oil pan would have to be pulled and a screw would need to be turned. I think for that I may just add a drain plug. Which would make servicing the trans so much easier anyway.

Comment

I've always liked the idea of a constant pressure VB. no worries if the TV cable goes to crap.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My Lentec boosts the pressure up some. Enough that I drove it home 60 mi after loosing the grommet last run at the drags. Even raced my one frend in his Cobra Mustang on the expressway and beat him. Its been like 2 years later no issues. Only other thing is you cant use the solinoid to down shift out of OD. It will blow the solinoid out and you have to drop the pan to repair the O ring and possibly bend the attaching bracket back.

They wouldnt do a maxed out pressure manual shift set up without upgrading the complete trans a few grand.
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I was thinking of doing a constant valve body swap in my AOD or a trans go shift kit.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
              -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
              1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

I was thinking of doing a constant valve body swap in my AOD or a trans go shift kit.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                  The TransGo shift kit I am selling would work. Still have to do the LDL shuffle. The solinoid ativated OD Lenco VB I use would work. Pure manual shift ones would tear you drive train appart and realy requires a lot of expensive internal mods.
                  perhaps in a AOD, but an aode or a 4r70w a manula vb will work just fine, as long as you dont do WOT 4-1 shifts youll be ok. john if you want better shifting, i suggest you get on click click and give silverfox a holler, ive looked into modding the AOD, but for what i am wanting, even an epoxy mod would require basically a good rebuild along with several upgrade parts such as a n sonnax a++ servo, a spiral snap ring and better raybestos clutches. and for AODs internals arnt that expensive, i think the two most expensive things might be a silverfox vb and a aode sunshell, but that s about it, and maybe the clutch pack but thats not that bad.
                  89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                    My Lentec boosts the pressure up some. Enough that I drove it home 60 mi after loosing the grommet last run at the drags. Even raced my one frend in his Cobra Mustang on the expressway and beat him. Its been like 2 years later no issues. Only other thing is you cant use the solinoid to down shift out of OD. It will blow the solinoid out and you have to drop the pan to repair the O ring and possibly bend the attaching bracket back.

They wouldnt do a maxed out pressure manual shift set up without upgrading the complete trans a few grand.
                    with labor and everything i can do one for under 2k quite easilly
                    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
                      perhaps in a AOD, but an aode or a 4r70w a manula vb will work just fine, as long as you dont do WOT 4-1 shifts youll be ok. john if you want better shifting, i suggest you get on click click and give silverfox a holler, ive looked into modding the AOD, but for what i am wanting, even an epoxy mod would require basically a good rebuild along with several upgrade parts such as a n sonnax a++ servo, a spiral snap ring and better raybestos clutches. and for AODs internals arnt that expensive, i think the two most expensive things might be a silverfox vb and a aode sunshell, but that s about it, and maybe the clutch pack but thats not that bad.
                      I emailed Dan. I gave him the specs of my car and whatnot. And told him what I want to do with the car. That should help.
                      I was thinking about getting the A++ overdrive servo as well. Would it be beneficial to me? I still have all 4 gears in perfect working order. Would I notice it?

Comment

you'll get a MUCH firmer shift into OD (not really saying much since the stock shift is like butter). It will definitely feel more solid.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                          you'll get a MUCH firmer shift into OD (not really saying much since the stock shift is like butter). It will definitely feel more solid.
                          I like firm shifts. And if it'll help make the band last longer I'm all for it!

Comment

with a stock band, the super duper servo may be too much. You may just want the "A" servo to give it more clamping force without being so nutty that it could break something. Dan will know, its what he does for a living. Do you have a trans cooler on that thing? If not, adding one of those will do more to prolong the trans life than any servo change will.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

even the A servo needs the wider band. That's what's in my 88's AOD.

Comment

Working...
                              X