Eliminate "Cats" On '95 GM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eliminate "Cats" On '95 GM?

Not sure if my cats have any adverse issues but it has factory dual exhausts so has four cats. Can any of them be eliminated (straight pipes) or do they need to have replacments? Since it has four O2 sensors (two before the cats and two after) it is an interesting question. By the way, not sure if this is in the proper section.....Bobby

P.S. What is the proper way to find if the cats have issues (any form of blockages)???

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Legally, no. Federal emissions standards, blah blah blah. If its got 4 oxy sensors, then it will set a check engine light unless you get the MIL eliminators.

Cats last a really long time unless the motor burns oil or whatever. The usual check is a backpressure test. Basically they hook a pressure gauge up to see if there is a restriction in the exhaust.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

you could put on some magnaflow direct bolt-on cats (that'll be $300 though) and be assured that there's no restrictions... or just run it till it dies.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I had a 95 TC it had precats (the forward ones) only and it passed tailpipe emissions with flying colors. On it I noticed that somebody moved downstream O2 sensors about 2 feet further down (i guess it read cooler because mil never came on).
        “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

I gutted my cats, unplugged the O2 sensors, and removed the CEL bulb. But I would not recommed doing that.

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
            I gutted my cats, unplugged the O2 sensors, and removed the CEL bulb. But I would not recommed doing that.

-ryan s.
            Only thing I don't like about that is you lose the CEL function for other stuff that you might actually care about. Just chop out the back 2 and call it a day. Unless you're trying to pass a visual, I don't recommend gutting cats. The expansion chamber creates turbulence and is more restrictive than a not plugged cat. I have a gutted cat for my Corolla, but it has a 2.5" pipe welded inside of it, so it's seamless.
            1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

I don't know where you'd get a MIL eliminator like gadget suggested but if those are cheap then I suggest that. If not you can get Thunderbolt cats for about $40 each on Performance-Curve or ebay. I have one on my truck and it doesn't quiet the exhaust at all and it's not restrictive at all, in fact lost low end since it flows so well, but running 3" exhaust on an old stock 305 is what killed it.
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                I don't know where you'd get a MIL eliminator like gadget suggested but if those are cheap then I suggest that.
                Look at any place that sells mustang performance goodies, mail order (Summit, Jegs, etc...) included

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

95 shouldn't have rear oxy sensors unless it's a very late 95 with the 96 electronics. Shouldn't need mil eliminators for cat removal.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

According to the Build Sheet it was built 12/16/1994. Does that help?? It has 4 O2 sensors. Took me long enough to get them installed (plugging into their harness' so I know for sure). Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

wow... I didn't think they put that on the 95s... I guess they did.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...%20eliminators

Comment

yea my 95 thunderbird was obd2

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

OBD2 was kinda like the switch to R134, they had to be in by 1996 but some adopted earlier as part of a larger update.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Yep, my '95 has 4 O2 sensors and R134a standard.

Comment

my 93 came with neither... though has 134a. No r-12 in anything I own any more.

Comment

Working...
                              X