Cutting Springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting Springs?

Has anyone here ever cut the springs on their box? I've been looking into springs, I dont want to make a road racer but just something sportier than what I have. I know cutting springs increases the rate, I was thinking one from coil or less front & rear. Can I calculate that rate some how?
    -Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

I've never been a fan of mickey mousing stuff like that, but Duce should be able to tell you once he gets online...

I know you can get circle track coil springs that have an increased rate...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Negatives are too much. Getting a correct spring is worth it. When cutting a spring the same work is done with less spring material, so the spring will fatigue and age faster. Microfractures will form soner as a result of the increased rate and magnitude of the stress applications. I highly suggest not cutting springs.

Comment

I've been looking into the circle track springs too, its not a huge investment. Up front I was thinking about going with 900lb or 1000lb springs and 175lb springs out in back. But I dont want to end up with something that sucks driving down the street either, for comparison police spring rates are 700lb/160-170lb. So slightly stiffer than that but hopefully not enough to make a bouncy box going down the road.
        -Matt

Comment

Are you runing PI springs now?

I have PI rears already, the rear is quite firm. Going from the 500lb/in front stockers to 1000 is a huge change, and you will lose a lot of your ride quality. I'd go with PIs or maybe 800s.

Comment

I have some original stock springs right now, and I'll have a full set of police sway bars soon.

Here is what I am basing my conclusions from:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...9&page=1&pp=35
            -Matt

Comment

I love atari!
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I dunno, that guy has some flaky info....like he seems to be doing a lot of good stuff, but I don't get the frame thing....did he wreck it, or did it bend from rust issues, if it's rust then why the hell is he doing all that to that car?

Personlay, if you still want to use it as a daily driver, then don't go to 1000, I would put 850 as the max for a daily driver.

Comment

Do you like the Ataris?

Anyway, I can get some 800lb fronts for about $45/each D&C Fronts

And here are the rears, 175lb for as low as $34/each
                  D&C Rears
                  -Matt

Comment

a little OT, but what's the rate on HPP springs?
                    Nick
                    88 Colony Park LS
                    G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                    Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

550lbs/in I believe.

Comment

i cut half a coil off of my fronts. yYou cannot cut rear springs because of the double pigtail, you have to get different for the rear
                        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

ok, thanks. Do Police springs really take a toll on the ride? Since I have a wagon, I'm guessing those would be best for handling, and maintaining a fairly smooth ride.
                          Nick
                          88 Colony Park LS
                          G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                          Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

To handle you don't really have to cut springs. My towncar with polly bushings, ias shocks, and addcos front and rear would really suprise you. It has stock springs. Tho I need to replace my rears with some new ones.
                            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny
                              To handle you don't really have to cut springs. My towncar with polly bushings, ias shocks, and addcos front and rear would really suprise you. It has stock springs. Tho I need to replace my rears with some new ones.
                              True, but I think we are talking about going beyond that point. I have PI rear, stock 500lbs/in fronts, senstrack front shocks, air rear shock, polly front sway bushing and endlinks, PI front and rear sway bars, plus the PI solid upper controle arm bushing. This makes for a pretty damn solid ride, but there is always room for more

Comment

Working...
                              X